Vehicle shudder / judder when pulling away from stationary

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
mcleod555

Post by mcleod555 »

Has anyone experienced this problem with their 2020 UK Niro?

I have an intermittent issue - when the car is stationary (e.g. at traffic lights) and as you go to drive off, the vehicle shudders as if the electronic brake reapplies for an instance before releasing again. Sometimes it's hardly noticeable and at other times it's creates a loud banging noise and vibrates through the car. As I say it's intermittent so on many occasions the car pulls away smoothly with no issue at all.

I've had my local Kia garage look at it and they have replaced a couple of things (wiring loom? parking switch?), but it is still happening.

Any suggestions ?

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

When you say the handbrake "reapplies", this infers you are using it at the traffic lights, and not relying on autohold or the footbrake. Try not using the handbrake for a while. If the shuddering still occurs, then the problem probably isn't the handbrake. You might then be looking at clutch problems in the gearbox.

Let us know how you get on.....
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
mcleod555

Post by mcleod555 »

Hi Alan,
I don't usually use the handbrake at lights - I don't know if it's the "hand" break or just however the car holds steady when you release the foot break and then press the accelerator peddle (hence my use of the term "electronic brake"). I've occasionally tried the handbrake to see if it has any effect on the issue, and it doesn't seem to.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Reading these posts again, I have jumped to assuming that you have a HEV, but maybe not....it really helps if you, and anyone else reading, fully identify your car. So, on the assumption that it is a HEV (or a PHEV), then I still think the problem may be in the dual-clutch transmission. You need to carefully record every incident, how you are using the footbrake, handbrake, autohold etc., and report it to your KIA dealer so they can diagnose the problem and repair it under warranty. Let us know how you get on.......
seepage

Post by seepage »

Is it anything like this?
Check out 7:14
mcleod555

Post by mcleod555 »

Hi,

So my Niro is a 2020 HEV.

I visited the dealership this morning and went for a drive with one of the mechanics.

We both witnessed the fault several times and the mechanic thought that it may be a fault with how the drive is engaging when pulling away.

The car is now booked in for 2 days in early November to investigate further.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Just wondering, do you always leave the car in D or do you move the lever to N after you stop? If you do the former, then the car pre-selects 1st gear while stopped. If the latter, then 1st is only selected when you move the lever into D; this takes time and you could be 'beating the system' if you accelerate immediately. I've had two HEVs over six years and have always left the lever in D position, never experienced your problems.
mcleod555

Post by mcleod555 »

Sorry for the late reply - a few more chapters in this saga.
I leave it in 'D' - drive and use the foot brake when stationary in a traffic queue.
In November 2023 the dealership replaced the whole DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) component - it took 6 weeks.
I got the car back just before Christmas, and the fault was still there.
The car is now back in the dealership and they have stripped down the gearbox, and have said they are replacing the synchro's and levers for the 1st & 2nd gears.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post