Towing

All Kia Niro related discussions
davecraig

Post by davecraig »

Hi,

Does anyone know when the Niro will be available with towing? My dealer is telling me that I'll almost 100% be able to add a towbar to a new Niro bought now, once the towbar is available. Is it as straightfoward as that? The Kia Belgium page:

http://accessoires-kia.be/niro/transpor ... ETGDWSP13/

Suggests there may be a change in the car for towing. Does anyone have any more information?

Thanks!

Dave

Philmco

Post by Philmco »

Read somewhere, brochure maybe that the Niro has no towing capabilities.
NedKen

Post by NedKen »

Taking delivery of my Niro Exec., with towing hitch, tomorrow. Have seen after-market, bolt-on, hitches advertised for Niros sold without. On mine, as ordered from the dealership, there will be some added features...for free. A larger electric fan system for engine cooling and larger disc brakes. This allows the towing of up to 1300 Kg. legally in EU.
newportfreddy

Post by newportfreddy »

Can you tell me which dealer you are getting your Niro with the extra towing features? I want this as I need to put a bike carrier on the back but don't want to order my Niro until Kia can confirm that the tow feature is available and so far they are saying "not available in the UK". Thanks.
NedKen

Post by NedKen »

Hi, I'm living in The Netherlands and picked my Niro up yesterday from a dealer in Velsen Noord, Tinhoult Kia. The towing hitch clicks in when needed and nothing is visible when removed. Even has a key-lock. I believe the outfitting of the various Niro models is different from country to country. We have the "Executive" (top model) with hitch option, but it doesn't have some features of the equivalent G.B. Model. Love that car though.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Philmco wrote:Read somewhere, brochure maybe that the Niro has no towing capabilities.
Just looking around for any info on spare wheel availability, and came across a Kia.com reference to 'UK specification Niros have no towing capacity'.
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate
Recycleman

Post by Recycleman »

This is the answer from Kia UK found on Kia Owners club forum
- To tow, the Niro requires a towing pack fitted at factory, which includes larger brakes and a better cooling system. At present, none of the UK vehicles have this.

- The Belgian bar referred to is locally sourced in Belgium and not approved to manufacturer standard by either Kia UK or Kia Europe. Any approval is from Kia Belgium alone. Fitting this bar to a vehicle, especially one fitted without a towing pack may invalidate any warranty claims.

We’re sorry to say there are no plans to add towing capacity for the Niro in the UK. Some distributors in Europe may decide otherwise but demand in the UK is very low so our product team have decided against it.
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Recently ordered my Niro 2; I was nearly put off by the lack of towing capability but have decided to get a towbar on my wife's Zafira for the occasional fetching of firewood and fitting the towbar mounted cycle carrier.

Prior to ordering I checked with both Lex (fleet provider at work) and Kia UK about the towing situation, both of whom confirmed towing isn't available as an option in the UK. Kia UK went further by saying they have no plans to introduce it as they don't believe there is any demand. Eh?? No demand for an SUV / crossover to be able to tow?? There must be a few people surely that want to tow a trailer, small boat or carry bikes on a towbar mounted carrier?

Anyway, my decision is made, but I think it's a bit galling that Kia main dealers in the UK are still advertising the Nro as having towing capability as an option. Mind you, the same dealer says the engine us turbocharged, so shows how much they know about the car...

http://www.delgarthmotorgroup.co.uk/new/kia/niro
MiguelG

Post by MiguelG »

No turbo. Atkinson cycle. 100HP. I wouldn't buy that car for towing. And I have a Niro happily
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

MiguelG wrote:No turbo. Atkinson cycle. 100HP. I wouldn't buy that car for towing. And I have a Niro happily
Exactly - if the dealers don't know the basics of pretty fundamental points regarding the engine, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they don't know the UK spec model can't tow either. Personally I'd have no qualms about towing with a 100hp car, but then I only tow a 24cubic foot professionally made (not car shop rubbish) trailer. But it sounds like it is not to be.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post