Remove the battery

All Kia Niro related discussions
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi,

The owners handbook says to disconnect the battery if the car will not be used for an extended period (Page 8/52). This is the "electronics" battery in the boot. We will be away for about 2 months. When I remove the battery cable, will the car still lock and the alarm still function from the traction battery? An alternative may be to use a solar trickle charger when we are away. Does anyone know? My dealer doesn't.

AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

The easy way is to try it and check the result. I rather doubt that the traction battery will power the door mechanism or the alarm.

If you are going to be away for 2 months during cold weather - the manual advises you to remove the battery and store it indoors. Presumably to avoid it freezing and leaking acid in the car.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
Delawarean

Post by Delawarean »

Is there some reliable person who might take the car for a little spin every couple of weeks? This is a very new and different sort of car: there might be entirely unknown things to go wrong with disuse. No activity in the traction battery might be problematic for all we know.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Thanks for the replies. I will ask around to see if if there is someone local who will take the car for a run. Good idea - Thanks.

As for the suck it and see option, I can try this, but I am pretty sure the traction battery won't power the electronics. A couple of cars ago, I had a Lexus RX400 and certainly on that the electronics battery was vital to everything or nothing working.

I just wished the dealer would either know or actually find an answer from Kia and let me know, but it is too much to expect I think.
gimball

Post by gimball »

From electrical engineering standpoint, Lithium based batteries are best stored unplugged in a cold dark environment and charged at 30%.

I guess if you leave it in the sun for 2 months at full charge it could do a Samsung Galaxy and just blow up? :)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

An update. The dealer did not know, and apparently couldn't be bothered to find out how to manage long (ish) storage of the car. We were away for 11 weeks. I used a Maplin Electronics solar trickle charger just placed on the dashboard, and connected to the battery in the boot. Despite my driveway being on the North side of the house, it was enough to hold the battery charged enough to re-start on our return.

This saved quite a lot of messing around with removing the battery.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Surely somebody knowledgeable in Kia Motors (maybe reading this) will give us reliable information about the length of time it is ok to leave the car unused>? Or maybe it is not a problem at all>?

All battery manufacturers will tend to advocate not leaving the battery for long periods - but this is an ultra safety/ insurance protection thing.

I have asked the question in the garage and get dubious answers. Lets' hear it from the manufacturers?

thanks Terry

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post