Full size spare

All Kia Niro related discussions
gimball

Post by gimball »

I badly scratched one of the 18" rims, can I buy another one and use the scratched one as a spare i.e. will it fit in the boot?

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I have the Niro 2 on 205/60R16 wheel/tyre, yours will be 225/45R18 wheel/tyre. I measured the depth of the wheel well at 230mm, so the 225 should fit. I did not measure the diameter, just assumed there would be no point in a well that could not accommodate the diameter of the larger wheel. Due to collect mine tomorrow - at long last- and will post on any problems, hopefully none.

Edit: some rough calculations suggest that the 18" wheel is only .5" wider in overall diameter than the 16" wheel, when considering the lower profile tyre.
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

£269 for wheel and tyre, and they throw in a set of wheel nuts. Plenty of room in well, and visual estimate says the 18" wheel should fit OK. Standard valve - not TPMS. Sufficient room either side of well in plastic compartments for jack and tools. Wheel retaining bolt is the one supplied with the car. If the fitted wheels are like this one I've just received, then the plastic covers are concealing rather nice black alloy wheels.
Mike R
gimball

Post by gimball »

Greenman wrote:I have the Niro 2 on 205/60R16 wheel/tyre, yours will be 225/45R18 wheel/tyre. I measured the depth of the wheel well at 230mm, so the 225 should fit. I did not measure the diameter, just assumed there would be no point in a well that could not accommodate the diameter of the larger wheel. Due to collect mine tomorrow - at long last- and will post on any problems, hopefully none.

Edit: some rough calculations suggest that the 18" wheel is only .5" wider in overall diameter than the 16" wheel, when considering the lower profile tyre.
Hmm I don't have the storage compartment underneath the trunk cover so the well where the wheel should fit is quite shallow; Is this thing removable (i.e. could I possibly have the storage fitted even though the car came without it)

p.s. the plastic covers are supposed to help with aerodynamics even though they look horrid...
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

There are two polystyrene inserts in the wheel well. One directly under the floor which just lifts out, and a lower one holding spanner, screwdriver and trk which is held in place by a retaining bolt (used to secure the spare); this insert is also discardable. Left mine at service centre to be scrapped.
Mike R