Full size spare

All Kia Niro related discussions
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Went down to the Service Centre this morning - there is no spare wheel kit yet!! Niro is the only car in the range to not yet have one. I could have an alloy wheel, but this will not fit in the well. I'm a tad miffed.
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate

Peddy

Post by Peddy »

The full size alloy wheel will fit in the well I've had one since September with jack and brace
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Peddy, many thanks for plugging away, the penny is beginning to drop. So you have the alloy wheel and tyre plus a generic jack and tool kit which I assume is common to the larger Kia vehicles? And the wheel and tyre fit in the well? You say no valve? So if the tyre was inflated would it still fit in the well?

Double checked kiaaccessoryguide.com and the spare wheel kit is now clearly a space saver [no sign of a full-size one]. Going back to dealer to see about purchasing a full-size alloy. I'll forego the jack, I'm old enough now to justify calling the RAC for a wheel change. As long as I have a replacement wheel I'm set.
Mike R
Peddy

Post by Peddy »

I say no valve i mean no tps valve there is an original valve and the tyre is inflated and does fit in the well.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Yes done some measuring. The wheel + tyre on the car is 21cm wide, the depth of the well is about 23cm. Was going to ask Service about a normal valve - no need now thanks. Only concern remaining is that the bolt to retain the wheel in the well seems lightweight - just enough to retain the polystyrene tray. How do you find it? Tomorrow I'm going to go and order the full size alloy wheel and see about a refund of my payment for the spare wheel kit made when I bought it. Many thanks for your help.
Mike R
Peddy

Post by Peddy »

I find the retainer fine no problem.
You don't get the plastic trim with the wheel though.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

On my way down to the Service Centre thought I'd pop into the Showroom and ask them to begin to process my refund. Good news is that when the sales team learnt what I was planning to do they immediately set about organising it for me. The bad news is that there are only four 16" Niro alloy wheels in the country, so it is not an option for many people!

Edit 17/3: Looks like some dealers may have niro wheels in stock in addition to the 'four'.
Mike R
MAAARYYY

Post by MAAARYYY »

You say no valve? So if the tyre was inflated would it still fit in the well? :?:
It is great and interesting! That's great opportunity to learn something new about Microsoft Dynamics for more detalical information dynamics ax - anegis consulting :lol: ;)
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Peddy says his inflated full size wheel/tyre fits in the well. My wheel has arrived, Parts Dept had hoped it might come with a tyre, but no. So tyre on order! Have a scissor jack already that is up to the job. Will need a new wheelbrace as my old ones are not metric.
Mike R
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

The wheel arrived last week, and we are now waiting for the low resistance tyre - should be this week. The Alca 1.5 Tonne scissor jack fits snuggly in the compartment on the right of the wheel well - other jacks are available! The wheel nuts take a 21mm socket [and also the locking wheel nut 'unlocker'].
Mike R