Tyre Repair Kits

All Kia Niro related discussions
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

After the relief of finally getting a diy spare wheel kit, I thought I'd check what I had for tyre maintenance. Firstly I got out my old Challenge Xtreme electric pump, I'd not used it for several years, so was not surprised it made no impact on tyre pressure. Then I remembered my wife's Jazz still had the TRK, it is one of those where you remove the tyre valve, pour in the sealant, then use the supplied electric tyre inflator. Not surprisingly after 8 years of non-use it did not work. Then I thought I'd test the Niro TRK. You are meant to connect the sealant reservoir to the electric pump, then connect the inflation tube to the sealant reservoir then the tyre. So I connected the inflation tube directly to the pump, missing out the reservoir. After several minutes of the pump running there was no impact on pressure, which I confirmed with my tyre gauge. Whilst waiting I read the instructions on the pump, which said after repair, the maximum distance recommended was 6km. Now my findings may be open to criticism, but I consider that this suggests a pretty poor performance by TRKs, and manufacturers seem content to leave tyre problems to the Roadside Assistance Companies.

So I have only my double-barrelled Michelin foot-pump, which works reliably. Regretfully I'm getting less reliable and would like some mechanical assistance.
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post