Mudflaps

All Kia Niro related discussions
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

The mudflaps fitted to my Niro as a dealer option are tiny, and seem to be ineffective judging by the dirt that accumulates on the tailgate. Anyone else have any comments?
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Generally I have seen little benefit to mud flaps, but I've just driven through some fresh white paint on the road. Fortunately I've got most of it off, but mud flaps might have kept more of it off the sill. As it is only my second encounter with random paint in a lifetime's motoring I cannot make a strong case for mud flaps, but it seems to me there is more rubbish in the roads these days - all these extensions and loft conversions?
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi AlanW55, i was going to get mud flats originally but so far have not. The issue of road grim on the tailgate and rear of car generally seems much worse than any other car I have had. I have commented on this on Niro sites before and it has been noticed by others. I thought streamlining a car to improve mpg might reduce rear end grim but in this case its worse!! I have noticed that the swirl of water droplets and spray in my rear mirrors when
driving in rain appears extreme on this car. You will note therefore mud guards will not help!! Just have to clean the car more often !!!
h2onorth
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I believe that LRR tyres have a tread pattern of circumferential grooves leading to less displacement of water sideways as a result, leaving more water to be whisked up in the turbulence at the rear of the car. Possibly tread depth is shallower than other tyres too?
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate