Keeping a smart key safe

All Kia Niro related discussions
deguy

Post by deguy »

Does anyone have the First Edition with a smart key? If so, do you do anything to keep your key (and car) safe? There's been a fair few reports of thieves using relay devices to amplify the signal from the key sitting in your house at night to the car itself, so that a thief can just get in.

Does the Niro system mitigate this attack in any way? I am thinking I might get a shielded wallet for the key as a starting point. To be honest, I'd have been happier without the smart key in the first place. It's only convenient if you don't have to worry about someone nicking your valuables or the car itself!
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm not taking any particular measures apart from taking the keys upstairs at night. Whether thieves are after Niros when there are BMWs, Mercs etc. to be had ? The key is apparently transmitting all the time, it's amazing that there are devices that can read the transmission through brick walls. Having written this, I think I might find a metal box and keep my keys in that!
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I can't believe the keys are transmitting all the time. The button battery would not last very long at all. More likely there is an RFID tag in the key fob that the car detects when you are close.
deguy

Post by deguy »

Shaun wrote:I can't believe the keys are transmitting all the time. The button battery would not last very long at all. More likely there is an RFID tag in the key fob that the car detects when you are close.
That sounds quite likely, yes.

There's a certain amount of detail on Wikipedia. At a guess from that, these relay attacks must wake the key up somehow and rely on the vehicle not implementing sufficient security safeguards against such an attack.

AlanW55 wrote:I think I might find a metal box and keep my keys in that!
Good idea, cheap low tech solutions sound like the way to go as far as the car owner is concerned.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Shaun wrote:I can't believe the keys are transmitting all the time. The button battery would not last very long at all. More likely there is an RFID tag in the key fob that the car detects when you are close.
That makes more sense, so the car must be transmitting something to activate the passive RFID chip. Probably a geek with a laptop sat near you could mimic what your car is doing.. keep looking over your shoulders!
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Bigtone1965

Post by Bigtone1965 »

I have a safe in the house just a small one
But just leave them in there overnight
Hope that helps
gimball

Post by gimball »

I just got the theft insurance - if someone goes to that much trouble to do such a high level attack to steal a Kia, they deserve it...
Steve

Post by Steve »

gimball wrote:I just got the theft insurance - if someone goes to that much trouble to do such a high level attack to steal a Kia, they deserve it...
LOL..... These people are only looking for expensive cars ... If they want your car they will take it, weather its keyless or not .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011