HEV very poor MPG

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

We have a 66 plate HEV Niro First Edition, bought new. At first, we were able to get a reported MPG of close to 60 MPG. This has reduced and now the MPG is frequently less than 40 MPG. It has been back to the dealership a few times, but they claim there is nothing wrong. I have little faith in the dealer anyway, after they had the car for 2 days and failed to find a lost nut rattling around inside the tailgate. I took the car to a body shop, who found the loose nut, and replaced it on the rear spoiler, and also re-soldered the connection to the heated rear window, and the invoice was for 30 minutes labour !!!!

Back to the car MPG issue.

The "charge level" indicator on the dash does move around a bit , but is not really meaningful, and never has been. The EV lamp hardly seems to come on, except when going down hill. Has anyone else been having this problem? Where could I find somewhere who could do a proper diagnosis of the EV system? Resetting the MPG indicator and driving for 10 minutes, does not seem like good diagnostics .

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

I assume your driving habits are unchanged. I would surmise that the EV system is not providing enough assistance to the petrol engine which is therefore doing most of the work on its own. If this is the case then the latest mpg is in line with a 1600cc petrol engine. Try driving in Sport mode and see if there is significant performance improvement, there should be as this mode forces the engine and electric motor to work together. If you don’t notice any improvement, then the EV system is faulty.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Thanks. Will try the sport mode idea for a while.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Sad to say, no noticeable improvement with a run in sport mode today.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Then I'd say there's definitely something wrong with your EV system. I've got the same car as you. I don't use Sport often, but in this mode it is very quick with bags of power, probably at the expense of fuel economy. Back to the dealer, insist that a technician drives it. Good luck,
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.