Battery Life??

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi Terry, your point 2 ref cruise control, only tried it once on a A road in Lake District and found it so jerky ie the moment speed drops below set amount, the car jerks into max acceleration rather than slowly increasing speed. This so put me off i have not used it again.

Steve

Post by Steve »

I wouldn't worry about the Lithium battery , by the time its had its day , it will be old technology , and a replacement will be cheap ... Just be happy you don't have to replace a battery in a Tesla ... Ouch
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
gimball

Post by gimball »

AlanHo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:30 pm I doubt that cold weather would effect a Li ion battery.

I am more concerned about KIA's choice of battery type after the problems met in the Boeing Dreamliner aircraft where Li ion batteries caught fire - sometimes exploding. The recent debacle with the Li ion battery in the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phone is a further example.

However - despite my concern, I have ordered a Niro on the assumption that KIA have taken such issues fully into account and guarded against them. I am comforted by the fact that Tesla, BMW, Mercedes and Toyota have chosen to use Li ion batteries in future hybrid and EV cars.
Li ion batteries are best preserved on a 30% charge in low (but not freezing) temperatures.
They will perform badly in low temperatures but this is ideal for storing them.

As far as the car is concerned - don't leave a black Niro out in the sun if you want your battery to last :lol:
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Last winter, ours was not used for almost 3 months while we were away for the winter. User manual says remove the battery if it is going to be cold and the car will be unused. Instead, I bought a solar charger from Maplin and left that connected to the boot (electronics) battery. was 100% fine when we got home.
Steve

Post by Steve »

If your going to leaver your car unused for more than 3 months , there is a switch on the fuse panel ( driver Side ) , this will switch off the sat nav , as the sat nav is always on and can't be switched off , until you flick the switch on the fuse panel . But if you do do this , you will have to re-tune the radio . This info is in the manual .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

We were away for all of January and February this year. I got a Solar charger and kept that connected to the battery in the boot . The solar panel was pretty much on the North of East side of the house on the dash. Despite this, & the snow and ice that will have accumulated on the windscreen, the battery was OK, and the car started easily on our return. The big test will be this winter when we will be away even longer.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post