Creaks and groans

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
CRA

Post by CRA »

Have 2017 Niro Premium EX. It now has about 15000 KM ( ~10,000Miles). I've posted before about a groaning noise associated with the brakes/suspension. Took it in to Kia dealer, they couldn't find anything wrong. Well, the noise is really irritating and I am seriously thinking of dumping the car. When I brake I guess I touch the pedal lightly (had a Camry Hybrid for 9 years and after 125,000 KM the original brakes were still at 80%). In the Kia Niro, I get a groaning sound that drives me crazy. The sound even happens when I am stopped and the parking brake engaged. As I exit the car, the brakes groan again. Previously someone suggested I needed to engage the brakes harder. This seems to help but doesn't eliminated the problem. It is worse in wet weather. Should I go back to the dealer and demand new brake pads or ????

h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi all. Yes am aware of some creaking from the brakes and yes there is no copper grease on mine either.
I have noticed that the rear discs are a bit rusty already and the outside edge of the circumference of them about 1\2 inch all round looks unused? I guess the rears get even less use on regeneration brake system?
Is this the same with yours?
h2onorth
niroal

Post by niroal »

Rear brakes will be used by the parking brake, also the regen will not make much odds as any significant braking still will use the friction brakes as normal. The front rear friction usage should be no different to a no regen car.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
deguy

Post by deguy »

h2onorth wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:51 pm I have noticed that the rear discs are a bit rusty already and the outside edge of the circumference of them about 1\2 inch all round looks unused? I guess the rears get even less use on regeneration brake system?
I've had problems with rusty discs on my last 3 or 4 cars and it was only my last dealer who told me I needed to brake harder. Doesn't help that my drive to work is 20km along the same road with barely any junctions.

But having been stung for new discs by an unholy alliance of MOT inspector and Merc main dealer I have changed my driving style, but I also fear that the regen braking might make it even worse or conversely that I will not harvest as much energy due to the harder braking. Only time will tell.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic