Key fob battery

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Has anyone else had to replace their keyfob battery?

I have replaced the battery twice now in 14500 miles. The symptoms of a failing battery are not unlocking from a distance - in the end I have had to get quite close to the car to unlock ( a couple of feet). With a new battery in, the distance is restored.

The first time that it happened, I thought that the battery may have been an old one, so I replaced it with an Energiser CR2032. This has lasted just a few months.

Maybe it's me - I keep my keys in my pocket when out and about so it is possible that a buton is pressed. However I have never had this on any of my previous cars. I have never had to replace a battery before in a keyfob.

The CR2032 batteries should last about 10 years with only occasional use.

It's not a big deal - I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this.

Phil

Suman

Post by Suman »

Button cell batteries can discharge very rapidly if touched with bare hands during the replacement phase. That could drastically reduce their life.

I recommend using tissue paper to handle the new ones.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I have a suspicion that the charge level of the lead acid battery in the boot also affects the unlocking. At one point I was needing to operate the key fob several times to get the car to unlock. Changed my weekly routine to add an extra 5 miles to my longest journey and the fob them operated OK.
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi all. Interesting subject here. PhilB, if it happens again try your spare key fob to see if this also has a problem which would indicate it might be 12v battery as mentioned by Greenman. Not send this topic elsewhere so your key fob might be a one off? h2onorth
deguy

Post by deguy »

@PhilB
Just out of interest, which Niro model do you have, or more to the point do you have a standard remote fob or the keyless remote fob?

I've only had my Niro for 3 months, so no flat batteries, however I'm now used to the keyless entry and the key never leaves my pocket.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I have a Niro 2 with a standard remote keyfob. It isn't keyless starting - I have to use the key in the ignition.
As far as I remember the other keyfob works OK, but I like to keep it as a spare.
I haven't noticed any difference with the 12 volt battery charge level - apart from when the 12v battery was completely discharged! But changing the coin cell gave immediate results when nothing else had changed.
I guess that I should check the old coin cells - measure the voltage with a smal load on it. Haven't got round to doing that yet.

Apart from that I think that the Niro is great, nearly 15000 milles now and 11 months.

Phil
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have had the same problem after 3 months . took the car back to the garage , but all he did was re-program the key , it was ok for a small amount of time .. So now I'm using the spare key , and all is well . Sounds like there could be a bad batch of key fobs for the Niro 2 .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post