Car starter external batteries

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I believe that the American version of the Niro does not have a separate 12v battery, but has a bit of the main lithium battery as a 12v auxiliary battery. That explains the differences noted in the emergency responder's document - which was for the US model. On that model, you can recharge the auxiliary 12v battery from the main battery by pressing a button (sounds as if someone was expecting the 12v battery to discharge!).
@h2onorth, yes I did lose the radio settings the second time that the 12v battery went flat, although not the first time.
I knew where to jump start the car because the first time the battery went flat I called out the RAC, and the guy knew exactly where to put the jump leads. The second time it happened, I had got the jump start battery so was able to get going by myself.

JimT

Post by JimT »

Kia Customer Services have confirmed that UK niro's from Model Year 18 will have the 12V battery as part of the main Li-ion battery under the rear seat.
Now: niro 2 (red)
Previous cars:
Citroen C3 Picasso (auto)
Renault grand scenic 1.5dci on 17" wheels (awful)
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Just realised my battery booster under the front seat was right up against the heater/air vents. Move it as close to the door as possible.
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate