Smart cruise control cancelled at low speed

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
djpfaff

Post by djpfaff »

Got my Niro for about 7 month now, and is pretty good, but not impressed by the smart cruise control though. It slows down in a traffic jam which is what you expect of a smart cruise control, but the problem is that it is cancelled when the speed drops below 5mph, and you will have to hit the brake to make sure you don't bump into the car in front.
If traffic starts moving again, you cannot resume the smart cruise control until the speed exceeds 5mph (when there is a car in front), but guess it is better then when there is no traffic in front, as then the speed has to be above 20mph before it can be engaged again.
David P.
Currrent Car: Niro - First Edition (Ocean Blue)
Previous Car: B-Class - 2013
Next Car: Autonomous - 2020

deguy

Post by deguy »

Yes, that really freaked me out during my test drive and was instrumental in me deciding not to get the ADAP on my car.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

I think you're expecting too much of a system that's ostensibly designed for use in motorway conditions. The radar measures the distance to the car in front, and makes a judgment taking into account speed as to whether the gap is safe or not. I would imagine that at very low speeds this gap would be proportionally so small as to be unsafe and if you were behind me certainly unacceptable! Are you expecting it to operate as a self-drive system do that you don't have to touch the pedals at all?
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
deguy

Post by deguy »

I was in a test drive and didn't even realise the system was switched on until I trundled up to traffic lights (30mph limit) with one car stopped ahead. About for or five car lengths away the car slammed the brakes on hard, once I realised what was happening I let it get on with it, only to then be surprised again as it released the brakes at 5mph as I approached the back of the car in front. I'm sure you get used to it and can probably have it switched off, but I use normal cruise control all the time and was damned if I was going to pay around a thousand quid to get a system that scared me!
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
niroal

Post by niroal »

In 4000 miles I have been more than happy with the adaptive cruise.

PS You don't have to be travelling above 20 mph to activate it, it just has to be set to 20 mph or above, it will activate from about 6/7 mph.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
niroal

Post by niroal »

Sorry I was incorrect above, it cannot be set below 20mph
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
Deleted User 637

Post by Deleted User 637 »

Sorry to come in at such a late date but have just taken delivery of Niro PHEV in last month and joined forum.

My previous car was a VW Golf Match with DSG and Adaptive Cruise Control. This would follow the car in front as per Niro but, being automatic, would come to a halt when needed and then move off following car in front without any driver action. (Apart from steering)

So, if VW can do it, why can't KIA?
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Researched this a bit more. Apparently our Kias have the cheaper single-radar system that only works above 20mph. Dual-radar systems, obviously more expensive, use the second radar below 20mph. It works by assessing the time taken for the radar signal to bounce back, and if this time is too short for the current speed, then the car is too close to the one in front. I would imagine at slower speeds it would need more precise radar, hence the second system.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post