Tom Tom traffic updates

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
aubreyd

Post by aubreyd »

Hi there
Has anyone worked out how to get the live traffic updates working?
Everything I’ve tried hasn’t worked.

2018 niro4 18inch wheels.

bah434x

Post by bah434x »

My Niro does it automatically once it connects to Wi-fi
JimT

Post by JimT »

Hi,

What have you tried so far? We don't want to say "try this" if you've already been through the process.
Now: niro 2 (red)
Previous cars:
Citroen C3 Picasso (auto)
Renault grand scenic 1.5dci on 17" wheels (awful)
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

I assume you have set your phone to tethering and it is connecting to the car.

When I first had my car I could not get traffic or speed camera alerts.

I went to Settings (the cog wheel) > Navigation > Guidance and a list of options opens ready to be ticked. This will not appear until the car has connected to the WiFi hotspot created by your phone. It baffled me when I first had my car because I had been leaving insufficient time for the phone to connect and the options to appear.

I ticked the camera alert option and the speed cameras and traffic information then appeared.

I don't think you receive traffic alerts unless you have set a route or destination on the sat-nav. You do receive speed camera alerts without setting a route.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
aubreyd

Post by aubreyd »

Thanks guys, I have tried the wi- fi tethering thingy, got connected, then tried to go into the sat nav menu, saw the 🚦 icon, pressed that but no updates yet.
I will have another go this afternoon.
On my previous vehicle, I didn’t have to permanently have the Wi-fi phone connection permanently on, but I did pay for traffic updates with tom tom, which gave me the traffic alerts, and alternative routes.
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

If you have set a route on which there are no traffic problems - then no traffic will show and it will look like it isn't working.

You need to keep the phone tethered and connected all the time in order to receive the latest traffic and camera updates as you drive along.

Normally - when you fist start the car in the morning after a minute or two a message appears on the sat-nav screen announcing that it is looking for the latest traffic information. On a 130 mile trip from Norfolk last Friday the download advisory appeared about 3 times.

I find the traffic display on the map remarkable accurate. I read somewhere that it works as follows :-.

The geographical position of everyone's smart phone can be detected from the GPS position and signal triangulation the mobile phone company. Tom Tom are able to extract and process this information and can determine when the traffic is dense, slow or stationary by combining all the signals from the car smartphones in that area, see the average speed of the traffic and when it is stationary. It is so accurate that the actual length of a traffic queue is displayed on the map. How they discriminate between phones in cars or on pedestrians is not clear.
aubreyd

Post by aubreyd »

hi again
tried the map again, but did not show any problems ahead on the map ie red for traffic etc, it did inform me by messages though.
i guess it isn’t the same as the tomtom setup in my previous car, or as quick, will use google maps and mount my phone on the dash.
i also will try apple maps via the hard wired apple play display, i’ve heard rumours that apple play will allow google maps later this year
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

Aubreyd

I suggest you get the dealer to sort it. The KIA traffic warnings are excellent and should be displayed on the map if you have set a destination that involves traffic on the way there.
aubreyd

Post by aubreyd »

okee dokee