Bulb upgrade

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
DR08SON

Post by DR08SON »

First off, New member, just got my Niro company car so, Hi everyone.
Sorry to restart an old topic but I'm struggling with this LED upgrade on my Niro. I've tried 3 different sets of LED bulbs and not having much luck.
I tried some cheap ones first, they lit up but gave me an error message on the dash (With canbus attachments). Took them out anyway as they were useless.
Purchased two better sets and neither of them will even attempt to light up. I've been told the HID and LED upgrades have to be activated by a computer program. Then I did some research and stumbled across this forum.
Long story short, How did you guys get them to work?
The factory lights look terrible. Thanks in advance.

djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Agree the factory lights look terrible against the DRLs - such a contrast in light colour.

Feels like the look of the front of the car is marred by the lack of a tiny bit of extra effort to fit crisp white LED headlights as factory standard.

Also agree that relative to my previous car, the headlights are less effective too :-(
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

I am thinking of fitting these to my NIRO PHEV as I am a bit disappointed with the original ones ,HB3 OSRAM Night Breaker Laser Next Generation 12v 60w Headlight Bulb , Has any one fitted these, I know there are brighter ones but I want to stay legal.
KIA NIRO PHEV OCT 2018 Gravity Blue
niroal

Post by niroal »

radar2018 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:06 am I am thinking of fitting these to my NIRO PHEV as I am a bit disappointed with the original ones ,HB3 OSRAM Night Breaker Laser Next Generation 12v 60w Headlight Bulb , Has any one fitted these, I know there are brighter ones but I want to stay legal.
I have those exact bulbs in my PHEV & while they are not the same as factory LEDs they are a definite improvement to the factory items & less yellow too.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

I did get them fitted,I have not been out in the dark since fitting ,but I put one in and compared it with the original one and it was quite allot brighter, I will see better when I go out at night,

They we very easy to change
niroal

Post by niroal »

Agreed about the ease. They must be the easiest of any car I've owned.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

Let us know how you get on....The reviews of those bulbs on Amazon suggest that they don't last very long - several suggesting a life of around 3 months. Perhaps the people buying them don't realise that you mustn't handle them without gloves, or perhaps the ones on Amazon are counterfeit, as severa lhave not been impressed by the brightness either. Niroal what's your experience been?
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

I wore gloves because I read that I should, although I knew all about handling halogen bulbs, but your hands are no where near the actual bulb only the holders
niroal

Post by niroal »

jerrytaff wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:32 am Let us know how you get on....The reviews of those bulbs on Amazon suggest that they don't last very long - several suggesting a life of around 3 months. Perhaps the people buying them don't realise that you mustn't handle them without gloves, or perhaps the ones on Amazon are counterfeit, as severa lhave not been impressed by the brightness either. Niroal what's your experience been?
Mine were an Amazon purchase and I am more than happy with them. I have also fitted them in my wife's Ka+ (the Ford 5 door one not the Fiat 3 door one) that had H4 bulbs and there is an improvement there too.

I have used the various Osram legal upgrade bulbs in all our cars for the last 9 years or so. I am a serial car swapper so perhaps I'm not the best person to comment on the long life of the bulbs, but the previous ones in the Niro have done 2 winters. I have just upgraded the Niro to lasers from ultimates (the ultimates hadn't blown, I was just impressed with the whiteness of the lasers that I fitted to the wife's car.

The only bulbs I have used with hopeless life were Halfords upgrades I tried before Osram ones.

I ensure I buy from Amazon themselves (or at the least fulfilled by Amazon) rather than marketplace purchases even if it is a bit more as I guess that limits the chance of fakes.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite