ANDROID AUTO™ AND APPLE CARPLAY™ FOR LATEST KIA MODELS

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
andrewh

Post by andrewh »

Does anyone know of a dealership in, or near, London that can apply this update to my new Niro First Edition? My dealership, alas, is very good to buy from but hopeless when it comes to being up to date with their product. Any pointers gratefully received.

andrewh

Post by andrewh »

I've discovered that Romford Kia can do this update for the £25 fee. Humming Bird Kia Collindale appear to be unable or unwilling - I can't tell because nobody will get back to me with an explanation.
NedKen

Post by NedKen »

Had my update which included AppleCarPlay done a few days ago. It is a software update via an SD Card which took about an hour for installation and checking. It was done for free, with a smile and all works well. (Again this is in Holland.)
djpfaff

Post by djpfaff »

Chris_A wrote:Never experienced Android Auto or Apple Carplay before, since I was driving only older cars so far. Really looking forward to what these new gadgets can do and how they actually aid a driver.
Not too impressed by Android Auto, can't seem to be use 'normal' radio any more, and my data limit doesn't allow me to use internet radio. It also isn't very clear when you select to play music, whether it is just using your downloaded music, or if it streams it. But the fact that half of the time I drive through areas where the signal is quite bad, so it wouldn't be able to stream, so for the moment I assume it just plays my downloaded music.
David P.
Currrent Car: Niro - First Edition (Ocean Blue)
Previous Car: B-Class - 2013
Next Car: Autonomous - 2020
Steve

Post by Steve »

Its a shame you do have to plug in to use Android Auto , but for online music and sending text is brill .. I use Spotify , and it sounds really good , better than DAB .... But the sat nav isn't very good . Still not getting traffic updates or speed cams , even if i use hotspot .... I've asked for an update , but like many dealers , not interested .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
djpfaff

Post by djpfaff »

Managed to get both the car radio to play (uninstalled Android Auto from my phone and reinstalled it again) and have used it a bit more now, and Google Maps on Android Auto isn't too bad now. Still have some issues with it, like:
- If you zoom in you loose your estimated arrival time, and distance to travel
- The Icons which exit on a roundabout you need to take, and which road, etc... takes up half of the screen
- No indication of the speed limit on the road you're driving on, very useful if you missed the last sign, and don't know the speed limit
But of course, you can't blame the car for this though (so I already reported these issues to Google ;) )
David P.
Suman

Post by Suman »

I'm having trouble with Google Play Music often not working on Android Auto at the moment, but according to my research, there's a workaround which is to turn off bluetooth before reconnecting the phone to the car. Or restarting the phone.

I'm also now using Waze on Android Auto as a beta tester and it's looking pretty good though there's a little way to go (voice commands aren't yet supported)
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
djpfaff

Post by djpfaff »

Suman wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:53 am I'm having trouble with Google Play Music often not working on Android Auto at the moment, but according to my research, there's a workaround which is to turn off bluetooth before reconnecting the phone to the car. Or restarting the phone.

I'm also now using Waze on Android Auto as a beta tester and it's looking pretty good though there's a little way to go (voice commands aren't yet supported)
I have downloaded all my music onto my phone (just added a 64Gb memory card), Never had any trouble and it saves a lot of data, maybe you could give that a try or at least on a few songs.
David P.
Nocharge

Post by Nocharge »

Hi Suman

I'm trying to register for the waze beta but it won't let me. Did you have any issues?

Thanks
Suman

Post by Suman »

Hi Nocharge

I completed the beta application form back in April and was initially told there were no spaces left, but a few days later I was emailed to say I had been accepted onto the beta. The actual first Waze beta for Android Auto came out on 6th June.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post