Charge point

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
Arakish

Post by Arakish »

Hi

New to the forum. I wonder you could advise. Due for new niro3 PHEV collection before Chrsitmas. Charge point not installed. Rolec contractor says next appointment in 4 weeks. Dealer wants us to collect vehicle without charge point but advised to use 3 pin plug till the installation. Rolec's contractor and dealer says 50% installation charge to be borne by me

Do I need pay , Any advise pl ?

jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

Why bother with the charge point? All it does is to reduce the charging time from 4hrs to 2.5. If you can live with the longer charge time, then you only need the 3 pin plug and 13A "granny" charger. Don't believe the "Only for use in emergencies or short term" statements. That, according to my Kia dealer, was a bit of "creative translation" in some of the English literature, which Kia in Korea do not agree with. In point of fact, it draws about 10A, but you can use the car settings to limit it to 6 or 8 A (with longer charge times) if you are at all unsure about the state of your domestic wiring.

If you want to go ahead with the Charge Point, my understanding is that you can still get the government grant for part of the cost - Rolec should be able to arrange that for you. Kia used to pay the rest when you buy a new PHEV, but I believe that they stopped doing that a couple of months ago, so you would have to pay something. Not sure why it would be 50% though
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
Arakish

Post by Arakish »

Thanks Jerrytaff.
I was worried about using 3pin for lingers, now rest assured by your post. My quote is as below
Rolec tethered 7.2KW £220.00
Building Control/ Warranty/ Certification £25.00
Sub Board £125.00
Sub Total £370.00
VAT £74.00
Total Client Contribution £444.00
KIA said as per T&C, can pay £222
Thanks a lot for kind advis
Arakish

Post by Arakish »

Sorry
Not lingers, actually longer hours
pjm5755

Post by pjm5755 »

I have a ChargedEV point at my home and they are doing it for £149 with the rest paid by the government grant. I've had no problems with my charge point and think it was good value for money - they did a special deal last April for £99 that I used.

https://www.chargedev.co.uk/
Arakish

Post by Arakish »

Thanks PJM

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post