Hi - and will a Niro PHEV cope with weeks or months of non-use?

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
TF007071

Post by TF007071 »

Hi all

We are seriously debating acquiring a Niro PHEV, but due to our lifestyle it will end up parked up (in a secure car park!) for weeks or months at a time.

There's no power available for me to hook up a trickle/smart charger, but I can hopefully arrange for a friend to drive the car some distance at least once a month.

Is this type of usage likely to give us any grief does anyone know?

I'm aware that other PHEVs have a small capacity battery (for firing up the systems and petrol motor) and need pretty much daily use to avoid this going flat...

Many thanks

Tim

jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

That is a really good question. I remember being shocked some years ago when I discovered that a Lexus Hybrid would have its battery warranty invalidated if it wasn't driven for a number of weeks.

The Niro handbook doesn't have any cautions in that area. All it has to say is
BATTERY (PLUG-IN HYBRID)
If the vehicle is not going to be used for an extended time, disconnect the battery cables.

Although not explicit, that refers to the 12V lead-acid battery.

However, it does have this to say about the instrument panel message "Check Hybrid System. Do not start engine."
This message is displayed when the hybrid battery power (SOC) level is low...... In this case, have the system serviced by a professional workshop......
One can only assume that, if not used, eventually, the hybrid battery will become fully discharged....presumably triggering this message. However, there is no indication in the manual as to how long that might be, or whether this message appears following that pattern of discharge, or only when their is a fault - a short circuit, for example. Neither does it say why it is not likely to be sorted, simply by putting it on a charger.

My advice would be to go into your local Kia dealer and ask them - make your use pattern clear. If they are happy to sell you the PHEV, and the lay-ups cause problems, it will be their responsibility to put it right for the 7 years that the warranty runs for.
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
TF007071

Post by TF007071 »

Thanks Jerry.

Before approaching Kia I was wondering if there was some empirical experience, but it seems that both here and on the US forums no-ones posted about lack of use specifically...

I'll seen if Kia can provide any useful assistance - I must admit I'm reluctant to find out by buying one and discovering the use pattern is bad news!
davethetech

Post by davethetech »

These vehicles have a transit switch i the fuse box, if you turn to off it will preserve the battery life for long periods of inactivity
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi, Only just picked up on this post from months ago. Our Niro is laid up for up to 3 months at times. Usually in winter. It is parked on our drive. I bought a solar trickle charger and clip that across the 12 volt battery before we go away. I've had no trouble with this. On our return, everything has been normal. Car started 1st time. The solar charger seems to put enough charge in the battery to overcome the current drain of the alarm and the approach sensors, despite is being A. Winter with much reduced daylight. B. Only possible to have the solar panel facing eastwards, so not ideal for max sunshine.
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi all, yes lack of use is akin to most battery linked systems. There's a lot said about this in utuber groups for full EVs too.
Natural drainage as well as alarms , systems monitoring and manufacturers WiFi link up causes a drain over 3to4weeks for Tesla owners at airports or secure parking unless plugged in!. It would be interesting to find out how much Phev (not 12vo!t) batteries loose over the period you talk about h2onorth. Full EVs can become stranded once the battery gets below a certain level h2onorth

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post