Low on Fuel

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
Rob Young

Post by Rob Young »

Hi,
Last week I ran my Hybrid low on fuel. (not totally empty)
A message appeared instructing me to go to the nearest fuel station.
which was located about three miles away.
I parked up for maybe two or three minutes en route then proceeded
to the filling station. After about 200 M the vehicle just stopped,
& wouldn't start. Extremely awkward as it was on a blind bend.
After about a 15 min wait it started & I was able to continue my journey
& put in some fuel.

It doesn't really say much about this event in the owners booklet,
except you can't run on battery only if low/out of fuel.
Is this what's intended, to just cut out ?
I assume some kind of battery regeneration was taking place during the 15 min?
How far can you travel after you receive the message?
I'll never let that happen again as it was not a pleasant experience.

Comments gratefully received.
Cheers Rob

P.S. very happy with the car, it's fantastic! :)

HaxbyPete

Post by HaxbyPete »

That message usually poops up on my Niro HEV at the same time that the 'low fuel' alarm rings and a light shines on the dash board. Which is usually with around 30 miles to go yet - according to the fuel remaining gauge.

So I have never had the courage to push it to 'empty' but I do know that I have usually managed a further ten miles or so to the nearest petrol station.
davethesteam

Post by davethesteam »

Sounds trite I know - but fill up before 'miles to go ' gauge shows you are low . I tend to fill up when fuel is showing just below half
Rob Young

Post by Rob Young »

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. (Even the trite)

Should the car switch over & run on battery only for a limited distance ? some Hybrids do.

What is the "official" version of what happens in the above circumstances?

I wonder why it switched off & then after waiting ran again if kept below 25 mph?

It's due for the first service in November I'll ask the dealer to find out & post the reply.
HappyGilmour

Post by HappyGilmour »

My 2017 Hybrid actually got down to zero miles left but the engine was still running (I was on the highway with the radio loud and simply missed the low fuel warnings.) I made it to the gas station (what we call it in the US) on both battery and gas engine and was able to fill up without noticeable issues. But it freaked me out enough that I don't want to go through it again. I was really worried I would damage the battery.
Rob Young

Post by Rob Young »

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
My 2019 Hybrid recently had its first service so I asked the garage for the "official" version of how the vehicle should respond when almost out of fuel. They didn't know so I requested they e-mail Kia service centre to find out. This was around four weeks ago & they haven't receive a reply. I find the total lack of guidance both surprising & unacceptable. In the new year I will contact Kia uk myself to try & obtain a clear response.