Do you want to tow with the Kia Niro?

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
RichardQ

Post by RichardQ »

A few months after it goes on sale in the UK, the Kia will be available with optional towing functionality allowing owners to tow braked loads of up to 1300kg. :)

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Be interesting to see what it car tow. Also note - this is another plus over the Prius which I believe can not tow...
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

The most recent news is that this is no longer true, Kia UK confirmed to me that they have no plan to bring the towing option to the UK as they do not believe there is any demand.
Monde37

Post by Monde37 »

The Kia Niro DOES NOT TOW. I bought mine hoping to tow but if you check your V5 you will see it has ZERO towing capacity.
Deleted User 440

Post by Deleted User 440 »

The KIA Niro does tow. Mine does. The towing option is available from KIA in Germany and probably in other EU countries too.
deguy

Post by deguy »

Yes, I have the towing option too, however my dealer told me it is a factory option and cannot be fitted as a dealer or aftermarket option, presumably due to uprated brakes and cooling rather than anything else. I only really wanted it for the future probability of using a cycle carrier anyway.

But people have already established that the towing option is not available in the UK, so us having it does not really change much for them.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Okay, so now I am really confused. My 2017 Niro 2, UK specification, was delivered last week.

I was having a read through the manual earlier this evening and it clearly states that for the European specification, you can tow with your vehicle and sets a limit of 600kg unbraked or 1000kg braked.

Suffice it to say, this contradicts what I was expecting but makes me even more curious to find out what the hell is going on.
niroal

Post by niroal »

djbobbins wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:10 pm Okay, so now I am really confused. My 2017 Niro 2, UK specification, was delivered last week.

I was having a read through the manual earlier this evening and it clearly states that for the European specification, you can tow with your vehicle and sets a limit of 600kg unbraked or 1000kg braked.

Suffice it to say, this contradicts what I was expecting but makes me even more curious to find out what the hell is going on.
Somewhere on the car there will be a weight plate with four figures on it. They are usually on one of the door shuts. The top weight will be the gross vehicle weight, the next is the gross train weight (the total of vehicle & trailer combined) & the bottom 2 are the max front & rear axle loads.

If the 2nd figure is either the same as the first or n/a then the car is not homogulated to tow.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Space for a second number on the chassis plate is blank - which I assume means no homologation for towing.
deguy

Post by deguy »

Whereas mine has 1930 kg for the gross weight and 3230 kg for the gross train weight.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post