ICE running on PHEV

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

On start up of PHEV niro with a fully charged battery the engine also starts up and takes 4/5 miles to turn itself off . This happens even if on the flat or downhill .Does anyone else have this and think it inefficient

radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

Press the "OFF" button below the demister button, that is what I do
KIA NIRO PHEV OCT 2018 Gravity Blue
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

The engine runs to heat the car interior. As radar2018 says, turning off the heating will stop the engine running, but really? I've heard some people say they use the heated seats, and wear a thick coat! In very cold weather you'll have all sorts of problems with internal condensation if the heater isn't running, unless you're happy to drive with the windows open...
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

That sounds remarkably inefficient running a 1.6 ltr petrol to generate heat . I knew there had to be a flaw in the car somewhere - otherwise its been great
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

While they is condensation on the windscreen , a blast from the demister clears it in about 30 seconds, then I just close the fan down to 1 and it keeps the windscreen clear, and the engine does not run.

I am not a fan (Pun )of having hot air blown over me so the seat does grand
KIA NIRO PHEV OCT 2018 Gravity Blue
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Actually ICEs are very efficient at generating heat, they're inefficient at providing propulsion. You say your engine is running for 4-5 miles, have you tried keeping an eye on the temperature gauge? The Niro is supposed to have a rapid warm-up system, even extracting heat from the exhaust manifold. I had an old Hillman Imp once that had no thermostat, but even that was fully warmed up in 4-5 miles. This morning was quite cold, and I first stopped at the traffic lights a couple of miles away. The engine stopped, and there was heat coming in through the lower vents. Intriguing!
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post