Air conditioning dead

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

So... the car has been parked for a couple of weeks. I’ve started it occasionally but only yesterday did I first go out and do a few miles, having been at home for a fortnight, out one evening to get groceries, then home again for another week.

Upsettingly, given the warm weather, no cold air from the air conditioning, no matter what the temperature was set at, nor whether on recirculation or external air.

When I had an a/c problem last time I attributed it to ice forming on the condenser after a long drive in hot weather, but that can’t be the issue this time.

I’m starting to feel that for a car with less than 50k miles on the clock, full service history and less than three years old, there are a few too many niggles creeping in.

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

The a/c is electric, have you checked the fuse(s)? I believe you have a 2017 model, see section 8 in the manual. One of the fuses also operates the door mirror motors, another quick check. Good luck.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Thanks, I’ll have a look tomorrow.
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

BTW it went to the dealer and ended up getting re-gassed. They claimed that normally they’d put dye into the system to try and find a leak, but in this case because it’s a hybrid car they can’t do that.

Sounds like 🐂💩 to me... how is having a battery under the back seat and some extra drivetrain / running gear going to affect whether you can put a small amount of dye into a refrigerant circuit??

It’s going back in six months and if we have a hot Spring and the a/c fails again, it’ll be another bill for Lex rather than me, so I couldn’t be bothered to pick the fight, but it still irks me when garages give ridiculous answers.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post