Kia Niro: are electric, AWD versions in the works?

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
BGag

Post by BGag »

Orth Hedrick, vice president of product planning for Kia Motors America, sat down with Green Car Reports this past week at the New York Auto Show to talk about Niro—and why the automaker made a conscious effort to look beyond maximum aerodynamics, and toward utility and driving enjoyment instead.

“Arodynamics is of course important, but we wanted to offer a choice for which there’s utility involved, for which there’s a different look, a different stance, bigger tires...and with a DCT and a strong motor that has a great off-the-line experience, with a more premium power steering system that feels and tracks right, and with a suspension tune that gives up a little bit of tow in and tow out [for lowest rolling resistance] but gives you more road feel.”

“If you look at the choices right now, you have to give up a lot of emotional enjoyment. We heard from folks who are driving the current offerings that, gee, I wish I had something I could be a little more passionate about, or I wish that I would have more of a driving experience in maneuvering and handling the car.”

“We’d like to show the market that you can have this great-looking vehicle with great utility that drives great, and it’s easy to live with day in and day out, and it’s a great experience overall—oh, and by the way it’s a hybrid and it gets great mileage.”

“For Niro, we’re concentrating just on the dedicated general hybrid market, which is a front-wheel-drive layout.”

Although Kia says that a plug-in hybrid version of the Niro will follow a year or so after the release of the standard hybrid (likely with the same 8.9-kwh battery as the Ioniq plug-in), the automaker hasn’t yet firmed up plans for a pure EV.

“We already have an EV,” said Hedrick. “It’s called the Soul EV, and I don’t know if it makes sense at this point to have two vehicles that would be roughly the same size and shape and market.”

wrzoch

Post by wrzoch »

So now it is official, there will be Niro EV in two battery configurations.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Will be? There already are! Why are you referring to a March 2016 document?
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Until they really master the Super Capacitor to replace the Lipo battery , its not worth talking about .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post