Kia e-Niro a target for thieves?

Kia e-Niro which offers an all-electric, zero-emissions powertrain
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

According to an article in yesterday's Guardian the Kia e-Niro is now the most frequently stolen electric car. I have a 2022 model (17 reg). Is it vulnerable to theft by thieves using electronic devices to override the car's locking system? Has this affected anyone's insurance premiums?

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

I have just re-insured my 71 reg eNiro 4+ for £385* So, no my insurance cost is manageable. HOWEVER! Aviva bumped it up fro £328 the previous year to £550 this year. After a hunt o confused .com I obtained insurance from TESCO at the above price*.
I cannot see why anyone would want ot steal an out of date, succeeded model, unless it is just for parts. But since they never seem to go wrong ;) I wouldn't have thought there was much point on that score either.
If you are worried , buy yourself a 'FARADAY' pouch in which to keep (both) your keys. Easily available on EBay. Not expensive.
79 cars so far! Now 71 Reg eNiro 4+ Yacht Blue.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)
Mod Karoq & HR-V forums.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

I have too recently switched to Tesco for insurance, and they didn't say anything about the supposed nickability of the model, but the newspaper article spooked me a bit. This is the link: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... dApp_Other
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

Hello Richard,
Thanks for the link. I read the whole article and the one below "Gone in 20 seconds" and neither mentioned any Kia, that I could see. The nearest they got was Hyundai and in the Gone in 20 seconds article it showed a picture of an Ioniq5 which is a more expensive and later model than our eNiros.
If you live in a high crime rate area then I would, as I suggested, get yourself a 'Faraday' pouch.https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... &_osacat=0
I'm lucky that I live in an are of Poole with a very low crime rate. I receive the police notifications of crimes in the Poole and Bournemouth area and I can't remember the last time they reported a stolen car, so I am not worried.
Good luck.
Cheers,
Colin.
Mod Karoq & HR-V forums.
Waspman

Post by Waspman »

As I understand it most KIA/Hyundai electric cars (mostly Ioniq 5/6 or EV6) are stolen by one of 2 methods: Remote grabbing of key sugnal from key use using a relay device, or a newer "gameboy- like device that generates random codes that can immitate the key-generated code and allow the intruder to operate the door handle.

Current KIA/Hyundai keys are those that "go to sleep" so will not be vulnerable to relay attack if they are put down and not touched for at least 10 minutes. However to be doubly safe they should be put away in either a fraday pouch/container or, like I do an old small microwave (that isn't plugged-in :D )

The gameboy-type attacks rely on the fact that the car reacts to the presence of the key, so allowing the attacker to etermine they have found the correct code. The way to prevent this in KIA/Hyundai cars is to lock the car as normal using the key fob, and then press and hold down the lock and unlock keys on the fob until the indicators flassh 4(maybe 5) times. Then the car will not react to the presence of the key (doors or boot) until the unlock key is physically pressed. This needs to be done every time you leave the car after driving it, as the "forget" function is disabled once the start button is pressed (with key in car).

Obviously other deterents (crkklok etc) will also help prevent theft, if only by increasing time it takes.
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

Many thanks Waspman. Most useful info. I did ask the dealer (Hendy) when I bought the (71 reg 4+ eNiro) if the key would 'sleep' and he said no!
So the superlock tip is most useful. :D
Mod Karoq & HR-V forums.
Waspman

Post by Waspman »

I don't know if the previous version of the Niro is the same, but my reply definitely works for the current Niro, the EV6 and EV9 and, as I understand it the Ioniq 5 and 6 and latest Kona
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

No I'm afraid it doesn't. I tried the superlocking on my 71 reg eNiro. Nothing.
As I said, I am not that worried, car theft in my area is very low and I have a Faraday pouch in which my spare key lives.
Thanks for the though though.
Mod Karoq & HR-V forums.
sc489

Post by sc489 »

My new model 72 plate Niro switches off the key if the key is left stationary for at least 10 minutes so it's not vulnerable to relay theft. Beware of Faraday pouches which often leak RF after a few months use. It's best to use a metal tin with a screw top metal lid without a rubber seal which is a perfect Faraday Cage.
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

Many thanks. I did not realise Faraday pouches lose their efficiency, Mine is years old :o
I'll get a tin!
Mod Karoq & HR-V forums.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post