New to the Kia UK Forums? Introduce yourself here
niroal

Post by niroal »

We are hopefully going to be ordering a Niro First Edition within the next couple of weeks. Trying to convince the wife it is worth the extra over a Niro 2 with ADAP, lets see who wins!!!

I've been lurking for a few weeks, but decided to join.

We did a test drive earlier in the month from the very helpful & accommodating Romford Kia that even in 29C heat so a/c on full blast with a mix of 20/30 stop start traffic (more stop than start in effect) & some 50/70 mph dual carriageway still got nearly 60 mpg.

I love the toys of the FE, but in extended use (ours will be a 4 year lease) are the white bits on the doors / dash distracting or cause reflections?

Just a couple of questions that may help / hinder my case.

Has anyone compared the 2 stereos & is the JBL one much better?

Are the Xenon lights on the FE a notable improvement (if they are Xenons), I was surprised that there is no self leveling or headlight washers which I thought was mandatory.

Hopefully more posts later.

Regards Alan
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite

Suman

Post by Suman »

I've not found the white trim pieces to be distracting, and I've made good use of both the heated and cooled seats in the front. I expect to use the heated steering wheel a lot in winter. I also love the wireless charger which works well with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I just have to remember to turn it off if using Android Auto as otherwise the phone heats up to uncomfortable levels.

I'm very happy with the economy and handling of the First Edition - average 55mpg in normal driving in London with up to 75mpg when driving at steady 55mph on the motorway in cruise control. It's not quick by any means, but initial getaway in sport mode is sufficient to surprise most other traffic at the lights.

The ride is indeed quite jittery on broken London streets, but you get used to it. It is however quite well damped with little if any bouncing.

Sometimes I miss the effortless power and luxury of my old Lexus LS but I don't miss the fuel bills.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
niroal

Post by niroal »

I'm an iPhone user so the wireless charging will not be usable, I will just have to make sure the button is not caught when putting things there.
Our 2nd car is a full EV Renault Zoe so I am used to the initial electric shove to surprise other road users!!!
Not sure I could stick to 55mph on motorway so 75mpg will be out of reach if I get in the low 60s at 70mph I will be happy.
In some ways I am happy the Niro 2 does not have front sensors or convincing the other half to upgrade will be more difficult!!!

I will keep everyone posted!!
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
Suman

Post by Suman »

The control for the wireless charger is on the menu accessed via the steering wheel when the car is in park. When it's active, it just detects a phone with wireless charge capability placed on it, and ignores it otherwise.

There's no button to worry about catching when placing a phone or other object on the wireless charging pad.
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
niroal

Post by niroal »

Suman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:12 am The control for the wireless charger is on the menu accessed via the steering wheel when the car is in park. When it's active, it just detects a phone with wireless charge capability placed on it, and ignores it otherwise.

There's no button to worry about catching when placing a phone or other object on the wireless charging pad.
Ah sorry, I thought the little phone symbol near the wireless pad was on off button, I assume it is just an activation light then.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

hi niroal. Niro 2 with ADAP would be enough bells and whistles for me. My niro2 no ADAP is plenty techi without extras. Of course its all about how much you want to spend and the trade in value later!
On the subject of white trim inserts, not my cup of tea but also the glossy alternatives show every finger print and mark too ( grand children).
First Edition with bigger tyres is a tricky one, increase in noise / mpg effect is marginal and perhaps down to drive differences only.
I guess the bigger screen is nicer on the first edition but of course extra electronics drain means less EV mode. Safe driving.
h2onorth
niroal

Post by niroal »

I will be leasing a Niro if we get one so the extra for an FE is around £35 a month so no issues with trade in.
I am a sucker for bigger wheels (my current Kuga has 18" upgrades) so I am in quandary there.
I agree the heated seats will kill EV range, but hopefully the rear seats reduce to zero like the passenger one does to reduce the effect of them being left on. Xenon lights should use less power so not all bad news!!
I have to admit to being a tech sucker so am keen on all the FE extras, if it had Niro 3 interior it would be no question!!!
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
Suman

Post by Suman »

Assuming you did 12,000 miles a year and get an average of 55mpg in a First Edition and 65mpg in a Niro 2, then with petrol prices at £1.12 per litre, you could expect to save £171 per year in fuel in the Niro 2.

I'd be happy to spend that extra £171 in fuel costs for the extra toys of the First Edition over the Niro 2 even with ADAP.
niroal

Post by niroal »

I doubt the difference away from the labs is as much as 10mpg for the 18" rims

Overall it looks like it will cost about 50% of the list price difference over the 4 year lease time I am looking at.

After reading online reviews (I know I can't help it) my biggest fears were poor ride & road noise from the 18" wheels, but forum users don't appear to highlight this as true in the real world.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post