Don't have and don't want a smartphone !

New to the Kia UK Forums? Introduce yourself here
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Re one week old Niro 4.

Not having a smartphone and definitely not wanting one, I don't know if there are there any settings I may benefit from changing.
Grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,
Hopp

JimT

Post by JimT »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I can't help with any settings yet, as we're not getting our niro till 8th Nov but there's plenty of help available.
Now: niro 2 (red)
Previous cars:
Citroen C3 Picasso (auto)
Renault grand scenic 1.5dci on 17" wheels (awful)
Suman

Post by Suman »

You can consider turning off the wireless charger. Other than that, you can look at the settings for how aggressive the smart cruise control is, and check the settings for Lane Keep Assist (3 possible settings - Lane Departure Warning, Standard LKA, Active LKA)
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
gimball

Post by gimball »

You might want consider buying a smartphone ;)
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

The sat-nav will not provide live traffic and speed camera information if there is no smartphone connected.
Difficult to gauge your mindset, maybe the exclamation mark indicates you are proud of the fact that you don't want a smartphone. If this is the case, and I apologize if I'm wrong, then why would you want any of the technology toys in this wonderful vehicle? Be like Clarkson, and switch everything off !
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Don't want a smartphone , I'm in my mid 70's and can just about cope with a mobile.
All the safety features make the car worthwhile, what more can I say.
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Tried out Lane Keep Assist but found it was trying to pull me too far to the left.
Just occurred to me that my dash cam is fitted on the windscreen just to the left of the mirror.
Wonder if the dash cam could be interfering with the radar beam?
Any ideas anyone?
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

AlanW55 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:09 pm The sat-nav will not provide live traffic and speed camera information if there is no smartphone connected.
Difficult to gauge your mindset, maybe the exclamation mark indicates you are proud of the fact that you don't want a smartphone. If this is the case, and I apologize if I'm wrong, then why would you want any of the technology toys in this wonderful vehicle? Be like Clarkson, and switch everything off !
Even without a smartphone connected, the car will still update for traffic conditions - but my experience it's not as good at identifying slow moving traffic as Google Maps. For example, I've had the satnav take me off a busy motorway onto rural roads, as it detected that the motorway was busy - however the rural roads were also very slow, but weren't marked as such on the map (with the red congestion markers).
Johnrussell

Post by Johnrussell »

I'm in my mid 70's and love my smart phone, in fact I've got two. One I connect by usb and blue tooth, so I can play the music I want, and the other is set on mobile data, and used as a hot spot, I get the equivalent of TomTom live, speed camera alerts, etc.
Bigtone1965

Post by Bigtone1965 »

Ok I do
You don't need two btw
You can set one with hotspot and USB at the same time .
2 you just need wifi not a smartphone for the sat nav
Speed alerts etc
You can get mobile broadband units for almost nothing and they use very little data .
Also if your in towns etc it will pick up hotspots etc
As your phone would and use these too
Many manufacturers have the same system
I would like the speed cameras etc built in and updated when you set wifi up .
The traffic does work without wifi but will not pop up like live , just watch you time to destination rise and you will see on the map ,
They can do it live without as my ceed 2016 gt had it built in . It would pop up with reason and position
Of delay
Looks like tom tom went to smart for there own good .