Split decision

New to the Kia UK Forums? Introduce yourself here
RichW

Post by RichW »

Took the plunge and went for Niro PHEV just been delivered yesterday. Absolutely a dream to drive. However It is a lease car and trying to sort out a home charge point has proved a challenge . Looks like Rolec is the one Kia eventually recommended. Are they any good?

djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Can't advise about charging points I'm afraid, as the PHEV was not on sale when I ordered my Niro2 just under a year ago.

Would you mind giving an indication of the difference in monthly lease price between the ordinary Niro (in which trim level) and the PHEV?
niroal

Post by niroal »

Rich, we already had a charger at home so it was no major issue that the Lease cars are not supplied with a free charger.
We have a tethered Chargemaster 7kW that was supplied by Renault that the Niro happily uses, although the Niro can't take 7kW so I wouldn't pay extra to have a powerful home charger unless you want to futureproof yourself in case if you have a full EV later.
Chargemaster's costs are from £279 inc VAT for an installed charger.

I've not enquired about Rolec's chargers so I can't comment there.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
niroal

Post by niroal »

djbobbins wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:29 pm Can't advise about charging points I'm afraid, as the PHEV was not on sale when I ordered my Niro2 just under a year ago.

Would you mind giving an indication of the difference in monthly lease price between the ordinary Niro (in which trim level) and the PHEV?
When we were looking it was form memory less than £20 a month more than a 3 with ADAP to get a PHEV & the PHEV spec wise is effectively an ADAP equipped 3 fitted with 16" wheels
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
niroal

Post by niroal »

WE are approaching 3000 miles in our PHEV now, I am currently collating a review, when I have done that I will post up.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

niroal wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:51 pm
djbobbins wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:29 pm Can't advise about charging points I'm afraid, as the PHEV was not on sale when I ordered my Niro2 just under a year ago.

When we were looking it was form memory less than £20 a month more than a 3 with ADAP to get a PHEV & the PHEV spec wise is effectively an ADAP equipped 3 fitted with 16" wheels
Sounds quite compelling; I would have gone for a 3 anyway rather than a 2 if it wasn't for the 18" wheels and higher benefit in kind. Being able to get a similar spec of car, with battery range sufficient to do my round trip to work (free charging points at work, for the moment at least) for not a lot more money per month sounds like a no-brainer.
niroal

Post by niroal »

djbobbins wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:59 pm
niroal wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:51 pm

Sounds quite compelling; I would have gone for a 3 anyway rather than a 2 if it wasn't for the 18" wheels and higher benefit in kind. Being able to get a similar spec of car, with battery range sufficient to do my round trip to work (free charging points at work, for the moment at least) for not a lot more money per month sounds like a no-brainer.
Just to add to the quandary, you can now get a 3 with optional 16" wheels!!! And with the PHEV having 29 g/km emissions, the BiK is even lower!!!
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
niroal

Post by niroal »

Further to my point on the charger, from looking at the house smart meter while the car is charging it only pulls about 3.4kW so really no advantage (for the Niro at least) of having a 7kW charger. From looking at the Hyundai site (assuming it will use the same hardware as the Ioniq Electric), the Niro EV will have the capability to charge at upto 6.6kW so a more powerful charger could be useful if you are thinking of the PHEV as a stepping stone.
You are only entitled to one government grant per address so even if you get a full electric car in future you would have to pay full price if you want to upgrade at a later date. The only exception is if you have two plug in cars simultaneously as then you are entitled to an extra grant.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
RichW

Post by RichW »

Thanks for your replies sorry didn’t get back earlier as I’ve been in hospital with a perforated appendix.
The lease wass a company one but with cost per month including bik was £34 compared to £80, the extra rent because of grade was £18 more.
iOne thing I did find that if you get the normal hybrid spec 3 and choose the 16” wheels it was about £200 cheaper and adding the ADAP £350 meant only £150.
Looking forward to driving car again .
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Thanks guys for update. In summary then, provided the battery is in reasonable charge EV is possible provided no fierce acceleration or aircon needed? I guess range particularly in warmer seasons should improve and maybe in EV mode too it will be possible to keep up with normal traffic acceleration?
Three questions , 1 does the PHev accept a standard charger cable or has its own adapter connector for charging?
2 Are there any deals about to narrow the cost difference between the Hybrid and the Phev?
3 Are Insurance costs for both versions roughly the same ?
h2onorth