Car won't start

New to the Kia UK Forums? Introduce yourself here
slickafoe

Post by slickafoe »

Greetings and Salutations.
How are we wonderful people. I have a dilemma. I have purchased a Niro as Salvage. I am currently getting it repaired. The car hasn't been started for a few months. The car in question is a phev model. Can someone kindly enlighten me on how to get the darn thing started. I am under the impression it ain't that straightforward. Help!
😕

slickafoe

Post by slickafoe »

It was a runner before I bought it. Now there isn't any lights on the dashboard. I'm guessing battery is flat😜😜. I been told its not a normal jump start
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

Did you get an Owner's Manual with the car? Section 7 in the Manual describes the jump start. However, the manual is a bit confusing.

The section on the Interior Overview (Section 2-4) has button 12 (only found on switch panel type B) described as 12V Battery Reset switch (plug-in), when I believe it applies to the non-plug-in only - my PHEV does not seem to have that switch.

Section 7 (what to do in an emergency) tries to explain what to do when the 12V battery is discharged. It has a section which is described (for Hybrid) I think that it applies to HEV only. You press the 12V battery reset button then "start" the car. The manual states
After starting the vehicle (HEV ready) the 12V battery is being charged whether the engine is running or not.
My understanding is that in this mode, the 12V battery is being charged from the Lithium battery (via an inverter to reduce the voltage).

It is recommended to try that first before jump starting, but the manual it is not explicit concerning how much of the section on jump starting is common to both variants. It states that
after connecting the jumper cables at the recommended locations you should press "12V" batt reset switch (1) to charge the battery

That really confuses me - I assume that the Lithium battery is now being used in parallel to the external battery / charger to assist.

If you don't have that switch, then I believe that it is a bog-standard jump start for a 12V battery - ie. ideally 13.8V and limit its current to 60A to prevent vapourising stuff if there is a serious short. Fuse box positive terminal is connected to charger positive, then charger negative to a chassis earth.

P.S. If it hasn't been run for a lengthy period, do you know what state is the Lithium Battery is in? It should never be allowed to get to less than about 10% charge. if fully discharged I don't know for certain that it can be charged again. It can be a real issue with EVs and hybrids to look after the batteries when they aren't used for a period. Some years ago, I was looking at a Lexus Hybrid and was shocked to read that apparently the warranty was void if the car wasn't driven for 21 consecutive days as that was all that was needed to wreck the battery (but I believe that used NiMH not Lithium)
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel