PHEV self charging methods

All Kia Niro related discussions
Knuttucks

Post by Knuttucks »

I'm looking to change my Niro HEV 4 for a Niro PHEV 3 (or possibly a Ceed Sportswagon PHEV 3).
Does the PHEV self charge the battery in the same way as the HEV while coasting and from the ICE?
I'll be honest in that I'm a company car driver and have a free fuel card. The PHEV offers a significant tax saving so is obviously very attractive but I would like to be able to have better EV mileage available. My daily commute is kind of downhill on the way there and uphill on the way back. I achieve 70+ MPG on the way there but the round trip gives approx 54 mpg on average. The distance is 18 miles each way and mainly rural driving starting at 1207 feet above sea level and finishing at 128 feet above sea level.

I'm wondering if I will be able to drive to work as I do now but on the return journey switch to EV mode on the uphill sections?

Sorry if I've rambled on...
Current: Kia Niro 4 in Ocean Blue
Previous: Citroen DS4, Hyundai i40 Premium Tourer,Ford Mondeo Econetic

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

The main (only?) reason to switch from a HEV to a PHEV is to use less petrol, the difference being made up when the PHEV is charged by plugging in. Not sure why you're telling us about your free fuel card, although a large number of company car drivers with such cards never bother plugging their PHEVs in.
The PHEV will recharge the battery when coasting and braking just like a HEV, and will use the ICE if the battery charge is low. In your case, if you plug-charged up to 100% at the top of your 18 mile downhill, then in theory there will be no recharging at all, and you will still have 100% for your uphill journey home. If you had a flat battery at the start of your downhill, then you will get maximum recharging, but probably not to 100%. So the answer is to try plug-charging to different levels and observe which gives maximum benefit.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post