Finally figured out front sensors

All Kia Niro related discussions
m.scott

Post by m.scott »

Only had the car for 4 weeks so still sorting the bits out.
The other day when I parked in front of a hedge the front sensors did not alarm. When I got home and reversed the car into the garage I got the book out and it said that the front sensors had to be switched on by the switch next to the gear lever. I knew every time I have pulled out of the garage the front sensors had activated without being switched on. I then started the car in the garage, put it in reverse and the sensors alarmed, put it into drive and the front sensors alarmed, the light was on in the "P" button. I pulled out this morning and all sensors was working until I got to 12 MPH and the "p" light went out. I then parked the car using reverse. When I came back to the car and pulled away again the "P" light was lit and all sensors worked until 12MPH. I then stopped the car switched off, started up and drove off but none of the sensors was working.
It would appear that if I have reversed the car, all the sensors are working until it has reached 12 MPH in forward gear.
Cannot understand that if they switch off automatically at 12 MPH, why can they not switch back on automatically when below 12 MPH?
2021 Niro 4 HEV Pearl White

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

In my 4+ years of Niro ownership, I have only ever observed the front sensors to switch on automatically when I select reverse gear. Then both rear and front sensors are on, useful in a parallel parking scenario. I'm not sure therefore about your statement "every time I have pulled out of the garage the front sensors had activated without being switched on", but this may be because you have a later model than mine. I used to own a Ford Focus with front and rear sensors but no switch. I never knew for sure, but believe the sensors only turned on after selecting reverse. So the Niro gives me a manual way of switching on the front sensors only, if I remember!
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
m.scott

Post by m.scott »

Hi AlanW55.
I found that after I have reversed, like when I am parallel parking or reversed onto my drive, all sensors are active, forward and reverse and the light on the "P" switch is lit.
It is the same when I first start up but I have just tried it and I found that as I move the gear lever slowly through to "D" the light on the "P" switch comes on as I pass through "R" and activates the sensors and when I pull the car out of the garage the front sensors are working. I have just moved the gear lever quickly through to "D" and the sensors do not activate.
Since I got the car I have always reversed onto my drive and into the garage and tried to always reverse into a parking space. I only noticed the other day when I drove into a parking space that the front sensors did not operate. Still think the front sensors should automatically activate at low speed.
2021 Niro 4 HEV Pearl White
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Yes, I've replicated what you did by slowly moving the gear lever from P to D. The front sensors came on, presumably because the lever was in the R position long enough. I've never noticed this before because I move the lever more quickly through R and it doesn't switch the sensors on. I agree the front sensors should switch on at lower speeds instead of having to remember to manually switch on. All that said, both our cars have emergency braking and pedestrian warning systems at the front, so maybe the parking sensors are superfluous.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post