Updating maps

All Kia Niro related discussions
camiano

Post by camiano »

Thanks Alan. I suspect you are right. It's a 2019 (MY2018) Niro PHEV and I wasn't really expecting the Kia Connect system to work but it was worth a try.

Meanwhile I've been trying the new satnav system and , after a lot of adjustments to the settings, is now looking better than the pasty coloured system with very small text, that is the default. Not really been anywhere to test it properly yet. At night it switches to a black screen with thin white lines (for roads!) which doesn't look good. I can't find a way to change this. Maybe it gets clearer when the system is actually navigating.

camiano

Post by camiano »

It's been 6 months since I updated the maps/Nav system on my Niro PHEV from their 2019 originals when I bought the car.
Frankly - my advice to all would be please DON'T BOTHER.
OK the new maps themselves now show a new junction here and there but the way they are displayed makes it much harder to use the map for navigation. Also, without connection to the internet there are no traffic updates or suggested diversions. The old system had much clearer colours and road markings, plus the traffic updates and alternative routing system used to work well (I presume on the radio signal somehow) if there was a problem on the route. I now have to use my phone as a hotspot and connect the sat nav to my phone. Hardly ideal.

I've resorted to using Googlemaps using Android Auto which is simpler, clearer and better. If anyone from Kia is reading this - great car, but please fix the sat nav!
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Anyone any experience of what "not much time left" means in this message? Photo dated 7 July.

IMG_20230707_125215628_HDR.jpg

UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

It seems that you need to update the maps in the car. You can do this via the KIA connect app or by using a PC to download the latest head unit and mapping software to a USB memory stick which is inserted in the USB data socket under the dashboard.

I have found the USB method more user friendly

Connected routing means that your maps are connected via a SIM card provided in the car to the KIA server which downloads current traffic, closed roads and speed cameras to the car in real time.

The Head Unit manual can be found here :- http://webmanual.kia.com/STD_GEN5W/AVNT ... index.html

The latest updates for KIA cars are shown here : https://update.kia.com/EU/E1/updateNoticePopup/dNh7lW

To find the software and map versions currently installed in your car :-
Select "General" in settings screen
In screen that opens select "Version Info/Update"
In screen that opens you will see the Model code for your head unit and the map version that is installed
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Thanks, I had twigged that the maps needed updating, I was asking how much time I had before it was necessary.
Anyway, all just done, relatively painless. Updated on a longish drive, didn't see the point of just sitting in the car with the ignition on, the whole process took around half an hour. It was slightly disconcerting that the installation restarted once 100% was reached, but the second phase was much quicker to reach 100%. Presumably the first phase was maps update, second phase software update, or vice versa, whatever. Good thing is it retained all my saved places, but I'd made a backup beforehand just in case. Previous update was September 2021, no radical differences apparent yet.
Blue2020HEV

Post by Blue2020HEV »

I was interested in this because after following all the instructions to download the latest updates onto a USB stick via the Navigation Updater (it took about an hour), when I tried to upload it it said data incompatible. There was only one HEV option available to select, so I can't see what I have done wrong.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

My 2021 Niro 4 HEV uses NIRO HEV (MY'20) Standard GEN5W options, because it is a 2020-21 HEV with wide 10" screen. Select the options specific to you.
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

Your dealer is crap!.
They are just being bloody minded.
Dealers DO upgrade the infotainment system. (At least mine did. Hendy Kia Ferndown Dorset.)

Doing it yourself is a pain in the back side. You need humungous spare space on your computer and fibre connection. It is a massive down load. It is not just maps, It is the complete updated infotainment package.
As far as I know, you cannot just update the maps.

https://owners.kia.com/content/owners/e ... ortal.html.

I tried, with 13 download speed and it said it would take 16 hours!!!
You also need a large thumb drive, to download from computer, then put thumb drive in car USB .
My best advice is to try another Kia dealer.
They should do it for you during the next service.
79 cars so far! Now 71 Reg eNiro 4+ Yacht Blue.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)
Mod Karoq & HR-V forums.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

I found the entire DIY download took around 4 hours onto a 64GB usb drive via Sky Ultrafast fibre broadband at 145 Mb/s. The updating process in the car takes around 20-30 minutes, best undertaken when you're out for a drive. The disconcerting aspect is that when it says it's 100% complete, it promptly starts again....I think it's installing maps and infotainment software as two distinct packages, but as Colin says there's no way to just install maps. Done it twice now without any problems.
Ian45

Post by Ian45 »

New member here. I discovered when updating my MY23 Niro 4 HEV that the Navigation Updater does not like my Apple Macbook running an Apple M2 processor. Switched to an older Macbook with an Intel processor and the update then ran smoothly and completed in the car in about 45 minutes.
New to Kia in March 2024 with a MY23 Niro 4 HEV