Updating maps

All Kia Niro related discussions
Florin

Post by Florin »

I called Kia dealer in London asking them if they will update maps on sat nag when service is due but they said it’s something what they don’t anymore. Needs to be done by myself downloading last versions from Kia website and updating the maps.

Any idea how this process can be completed? Any idea how to check if I require an update?

Thanks

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Go to https://www.kia.com/uk/owners/navigatio ... re-update/ and follow the instructions. It's a complex process involving a PC and high capacity USB memory stick. I've not tried it myself yet, insofar as my car is recent and was updated when new. Good luck, let us all know how you get on.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Florin

Post by Florin »

Not sure is required yet as my car is 2021. Trying to find out where to look to find out if an update is required.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

I don’t know if you've tried to use the webpage for which I provided a link, but it leads on to https://update.kia.com/EU/E1/updateNoticeView/624. Look at Notifications, read the latest May22 which seems to indicate that a maps update is available for most Niros.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

I found that the process is straightforward - provided you have a PC and accustomed to using memory devices.

I went to the following website to identify which type of satnav was fitted to my 2017 Niro HEV.......https://update.kia.com/EU/E1/updateNoticeView/624/pop2

I hit a minor problem with the KIA installer - it showed that I needed to download to an SD card - but my car does not have an SD slot. I downloaded the update to a USB 32GB memory stick and it updated fine. It took about 20 minutes with the engine running

The maps are now updated but KIA Have made changes to the menus, traffic and map theme that in my opinion are an unfortunate step-back.

1. The Coordinates icon has vanished and I found that you have to use the "Search" function instead. This is a clumsy frustrating process - and takes much longer to do because the number/text screen lacks a full stop (decimal point) or comma - you have to keep swapping between the text and symbols screens to enter a decimal point or comma within the coordinate entry.
You have to enter the coordinates in either the format N: 51.12345, W: 1.12345 or 51.12345, -1.12345. The commas and minus sign (to denote West) are needed. This adds the new address to the car's address book - but the title shows the coordinates which you then have to edit to something more recognisable.
I have found a way to simplify the process. If I have a lot of addresses to enter for use during a long holiday I use Google Earth on my PC to create a list of addresses using the placemark pin facility to create an address list. I then copy it to a USB memory stick which has already been downloaded in the car with its satnav files.This over-writes the existing address book file. I then import the new address list from the memory stick into the car and it over-writes the previous one. PM me if you want a Word file with full details. (I am 85 and forgetful - hence I typed it for my own future reference). If anyone knows of an easier way of entering 30 or 40 addresses, I'm all ears.

2. Before this update the traffic was shown on the map as a very distinct coloured chevron alongside the affected roads. It was clear even when zooming out to see a big area. It now appears to be a very thin red or orange line alongside the road which is so indistinct it would be unsafe to try and see it whilst driving. When you plan a route, the route line is now green (it was previously blue I think) which changes to red or orange where affected by traffic - but zooming out to see and decide on a traffic free diversion is no longer possible.

3. The maps used to be fairly clear with roads displayed in sharp contrast. The menu options now enable you to select a choice between 3 themes which all produce muddy, poor contrast, washed out maps that are far inferior.

KIA need to follow the adage "If it 'aint broke - don't fix it"
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
duncanda

Post by duncanda »

Hi. I have a MY17 Niro HEV and am thinking about updating the map.

How long did it take to update in the car? Also when you copied the files across were there 8 files?

Thanks
duncanda

Post by duncanda »

I updated the map and infotainment system. Follow the instructions on the links above and all was easy. Took about 30 minutes updating the system in the car and a few more minutes for Dab stations to reconnect.
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi All. Thanks Alanho.
After your 'review' I think I will not bother and continue to use Android auto etc!
Was the media system/ car software though updated as well, which I might need to consider doing?
h2onorth
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ive updated my satnav HEV 2 . 2017 ..Map May 2022 ... There is no live traffic update , and its not showing speed cameras ... But the options are all ticked, and it looks washed out ... If i knew all this , i wouldn't of updated it .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

h2onorth wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:34 pm Hi All. Thanks Alanho.
After your 'review' I think I will not bother and continue to use Android auto etc!
Was the media system/ car software though updated as well, which I might need to consider doing?
h2onorth
The maps and software are updated with one surprise in our area.

My new maps show a new junction on the M42 which is under construction and not due to be completed until 2023. It is a badly needed direct connection from the M42 to B'ham airport. On the latest maps the new layout is superimposed on the existing roads. You can't get more up-to-date than that.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue