When should the gearbox change up to 6th gear

All Kia Niro related discussions
plug

Post by plug »

I have a first edition and am very happy with it.

However on the motorway it seems reluctant to change automatically from 5th gear to 6th gear when in D

I have changed to sport at 60 mph and 70 mph and it is indicating 5th gear (This is on the flat),I then put it in 6th gear manually and it pulls fine.

Surely it should change to 6th gear when conditions are correct to save fuel?

Any info would be appreciated

AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

Plug

I am unable to help but I have a Niro on order.

It is something I will be looking out for because it looks like a very valid observation.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
T552

Post by T552 »

is it showing 5 or S
Niro 2 midnight black (No ADAP) Sept 17
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Took mine for a long run over the weekend. I am now 100% convinced that in auto, 5th is as far as it will go. In sport I can get it into 6th, but go back to manual and it drops to 5th every time. I wonder if you have uncovered a potential software upgrade requirement?
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

When you put it into Sport mode - the display shows the letter S and not the number 5.

Go get in your car and get it up to 30 mph - then put it into Sport mode - it will display an S. Now push forward or pull back on the gear lever and it will display the new gear number

Now speed up to 40 mph and do the same - it will display S until you move the gear lever forward or back.

I am sure your car is changing to 6th gear correctly.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I am a bit late into this discussion but after having had my '2' for 5 months I can confidently say that I have never felt that the car has managed to get into 6th gear whilst the gear selector is in 'D'. I have to move to 'S' and change manually to get 6th.
Deleted User 440

Post by Deleted User 440 »

Basically I don't care. As long as the car delivers the fuel economy that I'm expecting (and it very much does!) I don't know and care which motor or gear it is using.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I think the point is knowing how to use the resources at your disposal and is the process working as designed.
Bigtone1965

Post by Bigtone1965 »

Not had a problem with mine
Please hits 6th on motorway around 50 mph poss
Just below .
If this is like most modern autos they learn your driving
At first mine was a little all over but after 700 miles it
Was fine , I'm gentle on the accelerator and keep it in the economy band
But if you always select sport it will think that's how you drive and always want you to use it ,
Pop in to your dealer would be a lot easier then asking here they are always helpful with anything I want to know
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

My Niro 2 uses 6th on the motorway (just come back from a 2500 mile European road trip holiday so plenty of experience).

It is occasionally keen to change down to 5th and even 4th when, if I was driving it as a manual, I wouldn't have felt the need to downshift. I change the settings on the cruise control to make the response less aggressive and this effect lessened.

On a couple of occasions when I felt the car was buzzing away in 5th and could cope with the next gear, I moved it into sport mode and manually selected 6th, which it happily changed up to.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post