SATNAV speed camera warning

All Kia Niro related discussions
Steve

Post by Steve »

I wanted to do a sat nav update , and found there is a speed camera warning..... Scroll down and you will see it . Its not ticked as default , just tick it .... Has any one done a sat nav update .. Looking at Kia web site shows you , but its not doing it as shown .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011

Recycleman

Post by Recycleman »

Satnav updates are done by Kia at a fixed cost of £25 the latest one is supposed to include Apple carplay as well.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks .... But its a bit naff you have to pay ... I will work on the sales man and see if i can get it for free .....
Steve
Steve

Post by Steve »

Has anyone else noticed that when you set camera warnings , a lot of cameras are not on the system . I did a 10 miles trip in town and passed 5 cameras and it only told me one , and on the way back , the camera it did tell me , didn't ... So i suspect it need a serious update.
Steve
Suman

Post by Suman »

I believe that if you pass a camera that's not on the system, you can press the camera button at the left of the Satnav screen to report it. You have to have the car connected to your mobile phone via a mobile hotspot.

Similarly you can press a button to report a false camera warning as not being there any more.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

The satnav gets its data from an SD card that contains a "snapshot" of all speed cameras that were known when the data was written to the SD card.
However, if you want live updates from TomTom, then the satnav has to be connected to a mobile phone wireless hotspot for live speed cameras and traffic information. Set up a wireless hotspot on your phone. Open the settings on the car satnav, select the WiFi option. Set up the connection, all self-evident.
The big hassle is that you have to turn the mobile phone hotspot on manually, and remember to switch it off when you're finished navigating. However, Kia has produced a brilliant app called "Kia hotspot" that does all the switching automatically, zero hassle!
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Suman

Post by Suman »

AlanW55 - Good call on the Kia hotspot app! I had set up the mobile hotspot manually on my Galaxy S7 Edge but this is so much easier than remembering to turn it on and off when I get into/out of the car.

Cheers
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
jack11

Post by jack11 »

hi.

I am struggling to find the speed camera settings on my Niro satnav. Can someone post some pics where exactly this can be found on the NAV menu please?

Many thanks
Ignatious
Recycleman

Post by Recycleman »

Look at page 74 of the satnav owners manual or press the cog button next to the hazard button, then navigation on the screen then guidance. Also note the speed camera alert only works when the wifi is connected
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Is a smartphone absolutely essential ?
Can a standard mobile phone that can connect to the internet and download android auto work just as well ?
Obviously could not make use of wireless charging.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post