Fuel consumption

All Kia Niro related discussions
gimball

Post by gimball »

Just had a test drive through the city and on highway; the consumption was 5.8 l/100km which isn't exactly what I was expecting.
And this was careful normal driving, not "flooring it".

Other than that, everything else tells me "buy it" - the car is extremely comfortable, smooth and just feels right.

AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

How many other petrol SUV's do you know that can return 49 mpg on mixed town and highway driving in cold weather? I have a friend with a Toyota Prius who does not do much better.

Which model did you test drive? - the 1 and 2 are more economical than the 3 and First Edition.

I hope my Niro 2 is as frugal when I get it.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
Recycleman

Post by Recycleman »

Nero 2, Filled car and manually computed fuel as 57.9 mpg which is same as the car said, that was travelling down the A1 at steady 70/80mph and across country at 50/60 mph. Am well pleased
Last edited by Recycleman on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Only as reported by the computed consumption, I am getting 62 or more mpg in towns. Did a lot of driving around South West London. Lots of stop start and low speeds. On a long motorway run, it is dropping to low 50's. First edition.
gimball

Post by gimball »

In the technical specs it says 62.8-72.4 mpg extra urban when in reality it manages 48 mpg.

It's great for a "petrol SUV", but far from the advertised numbers...
MiguelG

Post by MiguelG »

How many miles have you driven? All engines need a long run to be adjusted.
Overthehill

Post by Overthehill »

I'm currently running at just under 51mpg on my first tank of fuel. This is mainly cold, short journeys and obviously a new engine so I am very pleased. For contrast, I kept logs on my last 2 cars. A diesel C'eed which did 48.8mpg over 42,000 miles and a Toyota Prius which did 51.5mpg over 22,000 miles. Both cars dipped low in winter and then did significantly better during the summer months (the Prius usually between 55 and 60mpg) so I am expecting to push 60mpg in the Niro next year
Overthehill

Post by Overthehill »

So I did a 200 mile round trip along mainly motorways and dual-carriageways and the trip came out at c59mpg and my first full tank is looking like around 56.5 mpg. Very pleased with that
John Music

Post by John Music »

I just had my Niro 2 last week and have given it a thorough going over! Back and fore to work (streets, dual carriageways and motorways 30 miles per day), running around town and a couple of extended journeys c.100 miles round trips.

I'm getting 62mpg!!! Car computer very accurate so I won't bother with logging my expenditure in future.

My driving style (as assessed by the car's trip analyser) is 80% economical and 20% "normal". I am very pleased with that because I am a careful driver and I do plan my accelerations/decelerations all the time but I have had occasion to pull away "sharpish" at junctions and to overtake so I was surprised not to have even 1% aggressive.

60mpg in a petrol car of this size is great; my first cee'd ecodynamics would do this is I nursed it but my latest cee'd cdri would do 50-55mpg at best really. A smaller car too.

I visited the dealer today (Gravell's Swansea) and the Niro genius told me to use cruise because you foot will "stray" and squirt a bit too much fuel as a result. I have been driving without cruise as I thought it was less economical. Will keep you posted.......
robertsmith

Post by robertsmith »

I think, Niro could do better than 5.8 l/100km.

According to manufacturer, the combined consumption is: 74.3 mpg (3.8lt/100km) which is very economic consumption.

Theoretically this number is right but the kia's website asterisk says : These official figures are for comparative purposes only and may not reflect ‘real world’ fuel consumption.

Many factors affect fuel consumption such as, the engine condition, the driving behaviour, instant acceleration, speed, the tyres pressure, weight, city/highway driving, cold weather and more.....

I think, the normal combined consumption is under 5lt/100km.
You could estimate route cost, changing consumption to see the difference.