Fuel consumption

All Kia Niro related discussions
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

One thought struck me today on the topic of fuel consumption. That is, what is the 'range' based on. My range figure does not change even when my consumption changes from 62 mpg to 75 mpg.
Anyone have a technical answer?. As I said previously, I have not worked my way through the manual yet. When the car has its first MOT, I may have got to the end!!

Emperor

Post by Emperor »

Bit of a conundrum! I have 217 miles on the clock and the full fuel gauge, which started at 500 miles, shows 320 miles of fuel left. On some local journeys of say 6 miles, the fuel gauge registers a couple of miles worth of petrol used. Am beginning to achieve electric mode far more than I really expected and as a result drive more carefully in a relaxed manner(not previously my style according to my wife!)
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Trip /mpg systems (5yrs or more ago) used show distance to go when filled up as current average mpg X fuel left plus fuel put in. This was to my mind very clear since if your average mpg increased or decreased after filling up the distance to go changed accordingly. All very clear!.
Current systems do not use this system ( at least not Hyundia/ Kia or Suzuki. Correct me if you know otherwise) My experience of current systems take lower average mpg (source not known to me) . Then as the distance travelled after fill up progresses , let's say 100 miles , the REDUCTION in distance to go has only gone down by 80 miles (as u have noticed) . As the miles increase and you approach what you initially calculated was the expected distance before the next fill your (based on fuel in tank at start x known mpg), surprise surprise the trip distance to go starts to align itself with the mileage you expected at the start. So lets say it said 490 distance to at start after fill up and your averaging 55mpg. Tank was full say 10 glns so should go at least 550 miles .You will find that you will actually get the 550 miles because as you have noticed the distance to go decreases slower than the actual distances travelled.
Why the system can't or does not show the right figure to start with I am yet to discover. If it was just a calculator it would but there is some built in adjustment to give caution?
h2onorth
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Yes, I see your reasoning and in practice this is what happens. My concern was that with a Citroen where it had the trip computer, you could actually travel 50 miles but if driven economically, the miles left before filling again could have increased rather then decreased by the 50 miles travelled. So, overall, I think the miles to fill up is nothing to get excited about... just make sure that there is fuel in the tank.
Bigtone1965

Post by Bigtone1965 »

Right had the car a niro 2 for 2 weeks
Full tank
451 miles used 31.18 litres
Equals 65.76 mpg
Or 4.30 litres per 100km
And for anyone in USA 54.75 mpg
Works out about 50 % motorway and dual carriageway
30 % town
Rest a and B roads
The also included 60 min delay M1 stop start
Electric only
Yes I'm light footed but also all at speed limits not
60 mph on motorway
Worked out how to get the ev working in slow and town traffic
And for the ones asking your speedo is out
Yes about 1.25%
Used the rolling road at work
Next week have a trip to Yorkshire all over and back
Will see what it does
Very pleased so far
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

I am just over 2 weeks in and seem to be averaging 58mpg; I have been trying to economically in stints but lose concentration and put my boot down from time to time. Am hoping for improvements as the car gets run in.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Hi djbobbins, there is a definite way to drive the Niro. I have found that you have to let the car coast at times and when in traffic don't always keep up with the car in front, let a gap develop and justdriven serenely.
Bigtone1965

Post by Bigtone1965 »

Other tips cruse control
Look ahead
I.e. Roundabouts and just cruise as far as you can
It will go battery and also charge them up
Stuck in a jam and cars move just take foot of brake the electric motor will move you on and then just light on acceleration see a slight hill on a a road
Take foot off accelerator and it will stay battery
And gentle on take off
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

My mileage is now up to about 3,500 and the fuel economy is creeping up. Earlier this week I took my kids to their karate class, which is about a 32 mile round trip. At the end of the journey it showed 63mpg average.

For my drive to and from work (11 miles of A-roads and country lanes) I am regularly getting between 58 and 62mpg. I have found that this seems to be better with the current benign weather as I have turned off the climate control and instead rely on having the window slightly open for some fresh air.
JimT

Post by JimT »

Don't open the windows for ventilation - it worsens the aerodynamic efficiency of the car with consequently increased fuel consumption.
Now: niro 2 (red)
Previous cars:
Citroen C3 Picasso (auto)
Renault grand scenic 1.5dci on 17" wheels (awful)