Boot undertray

All Kia Niro related discussions
gimball

Post by gimball »

Try to find someone with a flat trunk that wants to exchange parts for a raised one.
It's just styrofoam and different sized cover plates.

djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

gimball wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:45 pm Try to find someone with a flat trunk that wants to exchange parts for a raised one.
It's just styrofoam and different sized cover plates.
Not an option for me, I'm afraid - unless it was a reversible switch. At the end of the lease deal the car gets returned so I will need to be able to reinstate it as was. But it's interesting to hear that there are different manufacturer options.
sunking555

Post by sunking555 »

Good stuff!

I've pondering about doing something similar too. But my idea is essentially a bit different. I would like too keep the original false floor as for normal use, I prefer the trunk floor to be on the same level as the trunk edge for easy loading/off-loading. Also, with the false floor, if the rear seatbacks are folded, the floor is flat the whole way. Here you can see the threshold if the boot floor is lower: http://www.autocar.co.nz/_Reviews/Cars/ ... ot_www.jpg

What I would though is take off everything under the original false floor and refit that space with new lining all over (probably mostly plywood & felt). This area wouldn't of course be completely flat as the spare tire space would be a bit lower than the sides but since this space would be used for various soft items such as backpacks etc, it wouldn't matter. I would just take the current tire fill kit with tools and fit them into somekind of an semi-hard bag with some velcro tape fixed to it and store in the backmost area of the spare tire area.

I cannot believe how badly Kia has overlooked the cargo area design. First of all, the rear seats should be able to move forward on rails to transform some of the legroom into cargo room. But even apart from that, there is much wasted space in the trunk. It's really weird that they have missed the mark here so badly since I would assume that this car would be aimed at families, who of course value cargo space dearly. Also, I think it's an oversight not to have the whole cargo space covered with felt. The bare hard plastics look and feel cheap and also they are just waiting to get badly scratched.

I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that I have the first model with the 12V battery in the trunk area, when the new model has that under the seats and thus giving around 10 liters more of cargo space and most importantly, more width (for golf clubs etc).

By the way, I saw a Niro in my local dealership that didn't have the cargo organizer kit installed and the trunk looked pretty much what djbobbins has done here (http://wallpapersx.net/wp-content/image ... -trunk.jpg). I think that the official VDA number of 427 liters must have been calculated on that setup. The local car magazine here reviewed Niro a while ago and they always do their own calculations with cargo space. The number they came up with was mere 260 liters with the false floor installed. That's Toyota Yaris level boot space right there...!
sunking555

Post by sunking555 »

Well, actually the problem got solved very easily.

I just removed the tire inflation kit styrofoam holder altogether and realized that the styrofoam organizer (which is fitted above it) fits perfectly in its place (only some minor bending/twisting required to get it under the hard plastic sides). I then just packed the tire kit with the tools into a small bag and stuffed it way back. Then I cut the middle wall from to the organizer to create a larger unified space. I also installed some rubber mat on it and it's perfect now. No need for any further DIY projects :)
sunking555

Post by sunking555 »

Just decided that the styrofoam organizer still wastes a lot of space and got rid of it altogether. Instead, I bough a roll of heavy duty rubber mat and covered the whole lower section with that. Now I have around 100 extra liters (compared to the extra space under the false floor using the original and very unefficient stryfoam organizers) of very usable space under the false floor. The total number is around 115 liters under the false floor. As you can see from the picture, it can easily fit two mid-sized bags in the far end and still have a very large space unused for a few duffel bags etc. All the tire inflation gear can be fitted into the hard plastic organizer.

Please note that when I took the picture, I hadn't yet properly fixed the rubber mat in place, so it's not completely even. Especially the sides.

Picture: http://aijaa.com/L4MZGX
blazer

Post by blazer »

My Niro 2 does not have a spare wheel so I have 2 trays stacked. This gives me plenty of room for all the stuff I tend to carry about (First aid kit, spider wheel spanner, toolbox of bits and pieces, maps, hi vis jackets and other stuff. In fact there is still plenty of holes for stuff plus I reckon when we take it abroad most of our shoes will fit in the spaces around the trays. Yes the boot space above that is a little smaller than the sportage but I reckon we will manage. It might make us a bit more thoughtful on just how much stuff you need to take with you.
knea

Post by knea »

Maybe this is useful: there is a similar conversation on an Italian forum - kiaclub.it - and, interestingly, some of the guys have applied a noise-reduction material on the lower section, before covering that with the rubber mats. It' seems effective. The name of the product is dynamat: super-lite/extreme
http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-t ... superlite/
Kia Niro HEV First Edition, 2017, White Pearl
sunking555

Post by sunking555 »

knea wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:12 pm Maybe this is useful: there is a similar conversation on an Italian forum - kiaclub.it - and, interestingly, some of the guys have applied a noise-reduction material on the lower section, before covering that with the rubber mats. It' seems effective. The name of the product is dynamat: super-lite/extreme
http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-t ... superlite/
Interesting, would be helpful if you could provide a direct link, though.
knea

Post by knea »

Kia Niro HEV First Edition, 2017, White Pearl
stephenriley

Post by stephenriley »

sunking555 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:40 am I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that I have the first model with the 12V battery in the trunk area, when the new model has that under the seats and thus giving around 10 liters more of cargo space and most importantly, more width (for golf clubs etc).

Thinking about buying a 1-2 year old Kia Niro First Edition - Does this model/trim have the battery and spare wheel in the back? Is it possible to remove the luggage try and spare wheel to get the full 427 with a bit of DIY? (need as much small for a buggy and dog). Or can you only remove it on version "2 and 3"