Boot undertray

All Kia Niro related discussions
knea

Post by knea »

Re the battery: if it's 1y old, yes
Re the spare wheel: no - unless the previous owner bought one?
Kia Niro HEV First Edition, 2017, White Pearl

Knuttucks

Post by Knuttucks »

stephenriley wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:29 pm
sunking555 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:40 am I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that I have the first model with the 12V battery in the trunk area, when the new model has that under the seats and thus giving around 10 liters more of cargo space and most importantly, more width (for golf clubs etc).

Thinking about buying a 1-2 year old Kia Niro First Edition - Does this model/trim have the battery and spare wheel in the back? Is it possible to remove the luggage try and spare wheel to get the full 427 with a bit of DIY? (need as much small for a buggy and dog). Or can you only remove it on version "2 and 3"
Hi, Only the 2018 model year has the 12v battery under the seat the the second hand model you are thinking of buying will almost certainly have the 12v battery in the boot. Easy to spot by the access panel on the right hand side when you view any prospective purchase.

There is also a thread on this forum dedicated to the removal of the luggage tray and increasing the boot capacity.
Current: Kia Niro 4 in Ocean Blue
Previous: Citroen DS4, Hyundai i40 Premium Tourer,Ford Mondeo Econetic
stephenriley

Post by stephenriley »

Here's the example of the 2016 niro first edition
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... aWbFr9nVfy

Didn't realise kia changed the design but I would only be missing out of approx 10 litres of space? - but removing the boot luggage tray is still possible to get to the near 400 litres?
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Yes, increasing the capacity is straightforward - a few minutes with a screwdriver for a basic job, a couple of hours with plywood and other tools if you want a more professional look. See my other postings for an example on how I did it (not the only option but I am pleased with the outcome).
warbstow

Post by warbstow »

Hi djbobbins...not sure I would want to be sat in the back seats. A rear end shunt would turn that ply into a guillotine.
sunking555

Post by sunking555 »

stephenriley wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:29 pm Is it possible to remove the luggage try and spare wheel to get the full 427 with a bit of DIY? (need as much small for a buggy and dog). Or can you only remove it on version "2 and 3"

Hi, please read my post with a picture just a bit earlier in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=191&start=10#p1433
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

warbstow wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:46 am Hi djbobbins...not sure I would want to be sat in the back seats. A rear end shunt would turn that ply into a guillotine.
This was a good point and something that has played on my mind. Before converting the car back into "holiday mode" (i.e. taking out the false floor installing my plywood version) I have cut the main sheet of 18mm ply into three strips, crossways.

I did this at a 45 degree angle with a circular saw, so I think that if anything was to hit the back of the car hard, the three plywood "planks" as they now are would be shoved together and then the 45 degree bevelled edges would cause them to slide over each other, rather than the force being transferred directly forwards.

Of course, I hope this theory never gets tested but I feel more comfortable with the situation now.
AMG

Post by AMG »

Great Job, but what happens to the carpet at the back where there is no wood, covering the tyre repair tools ?
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

AMG wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:00 pm Great Job, but what happens to the carpet at the back where there is no wood, covering the tyre repair tools ?
The layout in my Niro 2 must be different than your variant - in mine the tools are all in the polystyrene moulding in the wheel well - so all still under the new plywood floor.