Autocar - long-term impressions of the Kia Niro

All Kia Niro related discussions
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi Darren. Had Niro 2 since end Jan and live in cool northeast UK. Looked at all the cars of this size including Audi Q2, Mazda, Suzuki, Renault and puegeot. Had i30 before which was faultless for 6 yes before changing for Kia. Have hopes of similar experience with Kia. Wanted to leave diesels, obviously , but prefer auto and was concerned about DCT systems.
Initially did NOT get the high mpg other users state on the Kia forums, but now improving to average since new of 55mpg and mid 60 's on a few odd journeys locally.
Still do not like the foot hand brake at all (less safe and very crude in my view,hardly use it anyways) and consider the spring load blind cover to boot very poor design, needs 2 hands to operate smoothly. (Removed this)
Otherwise like this vehicle design a lot. Feel it could be made to use the battery mode a lot more if the system allowed it to store a greater reserve of juice, they Kia, have been over cautious here.
h2onorth

djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

That's interesting about the fuel economy. Several of my work colleagues have recently changed their lease vehicles from diesels to hybrids and one in particular (who does mainly motorway driving) is not impressed at moving from about 60mpg in his BMW 320 to significantly less in his Mercedes C-class once the battery has been exhausted after about 15 miles.

I would like to think my forthcoming Niro 2 will match the routine average 52mpg ish that my current car delivers (and hopefully better, as I hope the gadgets will change my behaviour a bit!) although I'm slightly concerned about the economy on motorway driving. My office is fairly close to home (11 miles of country and A roads) but I do a few 200-300 mile round trips to operational sites every month and have been able to get about 65 mpg on those journeys if I drive sensibly.
Dryan1966

Post by Dryan1966 »

I have owned my Niro EX for 2 weeks now. I love the car and have been averaging 49 to 52 miles a gallon. I'm a smoker and driving the car in the rain with the driver window cracked and wipers on I have a stream of water that comes in soaking the window controls. The only other problem I have with the car is that it didn't come with a spare tire which I'm ordering from the dealer, I do a lot of long distance trips and I feel safer with a spare tire rather then a tire repair kit, I was very happy to see that there is room for a spare order cargo area. So far I couldn't be happier with my Kia Niro.
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi Dryan1966. Yes water coming in front windows is fairly usual these days (if opened) either during rain or even windscreen washer procedures. Other cars l have had did this when the lip between edge of glass and front pillars is flush or only small lip. Of course inthe interests of smooth airflow and mpg I guess we must accept this h2onorth

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post