Battery level meter

All Kia Niro related discussions
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

The (traction) battery level meter on my First Edition barely moves. It sits around 50% +/- a little bit. Even after a long motorway run, when the engine is doing all the work, the meter never gets close to 100%. My previous hybrid was a Lexus. On that one, the battery meter went up and down the full range. When in very slow stop - start traffic, the Lexus would take the battery down to almost nothing, then miraculously, the engine would start in order to bring the charge back up.

Nothing like that appears to happen with the Niro. Anyone else noticed this ?

Steve

Post by Steve »

This is normal for everyday driving ... I went to mid wales at the weekend and as you know its all up and down , and going down a lot ,i was a bit concerned , as the power meter was very close to full , but all was fine ... lithium polymer battery's are very fussy , and don't like to be over charged , or discharged to a point of no return .. So for the battery to last the life of the car , it will only charge and discharge enough to keep the MPG in a good state .. Not sure what year your Lexus was , but the older hybrids used nickel metal hydride battery's ,and will tolerate far more discharge and discharge rate .. Lexus / Toyota now use lithium polymer battery's ... If you google lithium polymer battery , it will explain how they work .... Lipo battery's work on the same principle , from a model airplane lipo battery ( 11.1volts 2.2 amps ) ... To your Niro battery which is 250 Volts , @ 7 amps ... I cell lipo = 3.7 volts .... Lipo is short for lithium polymer .

Hope that has put some light on the subject ... By the way , the Niro battery is the very latest in design and very safe and far better than lithium ion battery .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

I have never seen my battery go above 3/4 or below 1/2 - presumably to extend the life of the battery.

Perhaps KIA should have displayed the gauge to read only between those two points - and we would have all thought it was between full and empty.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Never had battery indication below half, but have had it at maximum once. All I can say is that there was a smell that I associate with components getting hot.
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

The current Niro seems to have a battery management system that fastidiously keeps the charge level between 40-60%, in my limited experience of three weeks' ownership. All well and good if this to protect and maximise the life of the battery. But, how will this work when the plug-in hybrid arrives, when owners will "abuse" the battery by charging it to 100% , unless the system won't allow this. I would imagine owners wouldn't be best pleased if their overnight charge only showed up as 60-70%.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Simon M

Post by Simon M »

I have exactly this with my Niro too - battery meter stays between 40 and 60% pretty much all of the time. Doesn't seem much point lugging all that battery around it most of its capacity can't be used.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

I have just got my Niro back after the recent clutch actuator recall, and when I booked it in I heard the receptionist allude to a battery management system update. I didn't pay much attention, but have noticed that my battery meter is now regularly showing charge between 60-80%, instead of 40-60% as previously. Anyone else?
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
deguy

Post by deguy »

Still waiting to get mine booked in for the recall. What are your software and firmware levels now?
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post