Foot Parking Brake

All Kia Niro related discussions
T552

Post by T552 »

gimball wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:32 pm
Steve wrote:Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS)... Its just a gimmick in my opinion
I beg to differ! ;)
It made my 1000Km (8hour +) rides enjoyable instead of having a stiff neck for a week afterwards.
The gold thing about active LKAS (you have to turn it on in settings) is it reduces fatigue in your arms and shoulders during long rides as you're applying minimal to no force in curves.

If you are just using the car for short commutes you won't get much out of it tho.
Agree with Steve. Never use it, tried but makes the feel of the steering odd and vague. complete waste of effort putting it in the car, 1st thing I'd junk.
re foot brake, I only use at start and end of journey so no big hassle. Although I'd rather and electric push button type
Niro 2 midnight black (No ADAP) Sept 17

Deleted User 637

Post by Deleted User 637 »

This foot parking brake was used by Mercedes in the 1960/70s (if my memory still works) and is still used in Mercedes vans with the added complication that you apply it by pedal but cancel it by switch at bottom RH side of dash in UK vehicles.

Still rubbish system and much prefer old style hand lever or even VW style electric button although this either full on or full off, cannot be used for "slow, parking stop."

Would hate to think of applying electric handbrake in a last ditch situation.
Stepshort

Post by Stepshort »

I prefer to say the Mercedes footbrake, rather than Massey Ferguson, since all the Mercs I've had have the same arrangement, and it works ok for them.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Presumably the hill start assistance has changed the nature of and need for a handbrake. You don’t need the same ‘feel’. It is much closer to the American concept of ‘emergency brake’.
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

i don't understand the issues over the parking brake. I guess its because most of us in the UK are used to driving with manual transmission and learn to use the handbrake for hill starts. However, I spent a couple of years living in the USA where most people only drove automatics. All the American cars I drove out there were automatics and had the foot operated parking brake. It is only used for parking, and often not even then. If the car was not on a hill, selecting "park" is adequate. With automatic transmission, especially with the hill-start assist, there is simply no need for a handbrake. The foot operated brake is simply there to take the strain off the transmission when in "park" on a steep hill.

In the UK, the Mercedes all had a foot operated parking brake until recently, even those with manual transmission. I did not see too many Merc owners comparing their cars with tractors, although one of their salesmen did admit that the brake was one reason why they mainly sold with automatic transmission.

There are some reasons why I like the foot operated brake

1. I have had problems with my left shoulder, and at time have found it difficult/painful to release a conventional handbrake.
2. I have experienced issues with automatic electronic handbrakes. I had a Passat as a rental car. Its actuator froze overnight, and I could not release the brake. On another, I was going up a very steep hill in icy conditions. I lost most of my traction due to the electronic assistance to prevent wheel spin. I almost got to the top when the electronic brake decided I was trying to stop, so it engaged, stopping the car altogether. I could not release it and pull away before the hill start assist switched off causing the car to slide backwards.

I quite admire Kia for daring to go against the flow.
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi all, this my second entry under this topic.
I feel that all the comments have some valid points , not least that a mechanical parking brake is far less likely to fail over time or road conditions. I have become less aversed to the foot parking brake, to the extent that I use it only rarely, on hills, when parked. I have noticed that if you allow the car to roll slightly in the locked 'park' gear position , later removal into reverse or neutral or drive position requires slightly more effort and a distinctive clonk from the transmission is heard.
I still find the car great and the option of autonomous braking is definitely worth having in todays traffic.
The new Niro EV I notice will have an electric parking brake, despite the longer term maintenance costs
h2onorth
niroal

Post by niroal »

jerrytaff wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:11 am i don't understand the issues over the parking brake. I guess its because most of us in the UK are used to driving with manual transmission and learn to use the handbrake for hill starts. However, I spent a couple of years living in the USA where most people only drove automatics. All the American cars I drove out there were automatics and had the foot operated parking brake. It is only used for parking, and often not even then. If the car was not on a hill, selecting "park" is adequate. With automatic transmission, especially with the hill-start assist, there is simply no need for a handbrake. The foot operated brake is simply there to take the strain off the transmission when in "park" on a steep hill.

In the UK, the Mercedes all had a foot operated parking brake until recently, even those with manual transmission. I did not see too many Merc owners comparing their cars with tractors, although one of their salesmen did admit that the brake was one reason why they mainly sold with automatic transmission.

There are some reasons why I like the foot operated brake

1. I have had problems with my left shoulder, and at time have found it difficult/painful to release a conventional handbrake.
2. I have experienced issues with automatic electronic handbrakes. I had a Passat as a rental car. Its actuator froze overnight, and I could not release the brake. On another, I was going up a very steep hill in icy conditions. I lost most of my traction due to the electronic assistance to prevent wheel spin. I almost got to the top when the electronic brake decided I was trying to stop, so it engaged, stopping the car altogether. I could not release it and pull away before the hill start assist switched off causing the car to slide backwards.

I quite admire Kia for daring to go against the flow.
No other Kia in UK to my knowledge has an foot operated parking brake, but the Niro is automatic only & was part designed in California so that may be the explanation.

When I first had the car it was a bit of a pain, but after a year & 16500 miles it is 2nd nature. Interestingly when you apply the parking brake, the daytime running lights turn off.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
Bill-I-Am

Post by Bill-I-Am »

I know someone who’s disabled and wanted an hybrid automatic, because of a left leg knee injury

As soon as he went into the showroom and saw the footbrake handbrake he walked out, saying to the sales team
What’s the point in getting rid of the clutch pedal and replacing it with that…….

He’s now bought a Toyota CH-R with an electric switch handbrake
deguy

Post by deguy »

The only time I have used the parking brake is when I got my winter wheels put on recently and the guy pointed out that he didn't want the car rolling away while he was working on it! If his ramp lift weren't broken I wouldn't have needed it at all.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

I guess that KIA had an eye on the USA market when it designed the car. I lived in the USA for a year in the 1990's and most cars there had foot brakes.

I also had a series of Dodge cars when I lived in the Middle East for 12 years and I am thereby used to foot operated parking brakes. Hence the feature in the Niro is OK with me.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post