Foot Parking Brake

All Kia Niro related discussions
Thiscarscool

Post by Thiscarscool »

Hate to say the foot brake on the merc only a few use now the Toyota Chr and Prius are the same ratchet
And if you go to the states nissans etc a large number have them

h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi all. My reason for disliking this rachet system is not it's position but (1) it's noisy on application (in a quiet car), unlike a handbrake you can hold the release mechanism for quietness and NO WEAR, on the teeth!!!
(2) it's ineffective on a slope unless you grind it into the floor,but ,but then it's a muscle wrenching fight to release it again!
h2onorth
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I hear no sound when I appply or disengage the footbrake. I assumed it is hydraulic?
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Greenman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:08 pm I hear no sound when I appply or disengage the footbrake. I assumed it is hydraulic?
Not aware of hydraulic systems, mine is a noisy, crappy, manual lever best fitted to a tractor......
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

I have had this type of parking break in 2 previous SUV's, a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Kia Sorento. I now have it in my Niro, for me it gives an uncluttered centre console area. And lets be honest, you disengage it once at the start of your journey and once at the end of it. It isn't that noisy in the grand scheme of things, so what is the fuss all about, there are worse things to fret about in the world?
MY22 Kia Niro 2 - Pearl White

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise
niroal

Post by niroal »

I've never had a foot operated brake before & while granted it is not the end of the world, it is a shame when everything else is so straight forward & conventional. I try not to leave brake lights permanently illuminated when at traffic lights so I use mine more than once a journey.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Old Salt wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:46 pm I have had this type of parking break in 2 previous SUV's, a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Kia Sorento. I now have it in my Niro, for me it gives an uncluttered centre console area. And lets be honest, you disengage it once at the start of your journey and once at the end of it. It isn't that noisy in the grand scheme of things, so what is the fuss all about, there are worse things to fret about in the world?
The "fuss" you refer to is part and parcel of discussion etc. on a forum such as this.
You make a good point about the uncluttered centre console, but I disagree that it is (implied) acceptable practice holding a car with your foot on the main brake dazzling the driver behind, especially at night!
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
soooty

Post by soooty »

dam it. where does my left foot go? I am thinking of getting a nero this weekend. I have long stupid dangly legs and normally stretch left foot where hand brake is in nero! :(

and why would u ever use/need it in an auto?? shirly you just hold brake pedal until ready to goes forward agen?
MerlinXL

Post by MerlinXL »

I’m 6’3” with size 13 feet and my left foot parks neatly under the foot pedal. What’s the problem?
endurance171

Post by endurance171 »

Hello

I am new to the forum and waiting delivery of my Kia Niro 2 . Think the handbrake should be called something else a hand brake that doesn't need hand control is surely not a hand brake

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post