No jack and wheel wrench - is this normal ?

All Kia Niro related discussions
Redmires

Post by Redmires »

I had a puncture on the Niro last week. Discovered a nail in the rear tyre after the sensor noted the pressure was down on it. That's the first time I've had pressure sensors on a car and it probably saved more damage to the tyre - I'm impressed.

I had reached home so planned to whip off the wheel and take it for repair in my wife's car. It was then I discovered that there is no jack and wheel wrench supplied in the Niro. Good job the Ford Kuga comes with a jack as I had to use it and then leave the Niro on an axle stand the following day. NOT impressed.

I've had cars previously with no spare, just the squirty stuff BUT they all came with a jack & wrench (Lexus, CT, Honda Insight, Prius etc). I take it that all Niro's are likewise ? If so, what a con !

Note to other owners: buy yourself a wrench (21mm) and a jack. You'll never know when you'll need them.

Other than that, overall I'm happy with the car. I've done about 3k miles and average about 58mpg. Hope to get more as the engine loosens and the weather warms up.

Likes..... mpg, quiet, lane assist, load capacity, lease cost
Dislikes ..... lack of jack/wrench, gearbox (prefer previous CVT geared cars)

djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Not sure if this is really normal, but it is increasingly common - not just with Kia.

There are aftermarket space saver wheels available; IIRC the one I saw came with a jack and brace.
Ritz

Post by Ritz »

I have a trolley jack as I wouldn't trust any manufacturers jacks unless in a real emergency by the side road.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Ritz wrote:I have a trolley jack as I wouldn't trust any manufacturers jacks unless in a real emergency by the side road.
You're not suggesting carrying a trolley jack in the car?
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate
Ritz

Post by Ritz »

Greenman wrote:
Ritz wrote:I have a trolley jack as I wouldn't trust any manufacturers jacks unless in a real emergency by the side road.
You're not suggesting carrying a trolley jack in the car?
As there is no spare in the Niro you wouldn't need to change the wheel at the roadside, so why carry any jack?
The OP took the wheel off when he got home, where i would never use a manufactures jack and recommend getting a trolley jack.
Redmires

Post by Redmires »

As there is no spare in the Niro you wouldn't need to change the wheel at the roadside, so why carry any jack?
The OP took the wheel off when he got home....

I will now definitely carry a jack all the time. Pure chance that it happened on my journey home. It could easily have happened going to work. In that case, I would have had to borrow a jack & wrench of a colleague to whip the wheel off to take to the garage round the corner.
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi Ritz. Yes I have trolley jack too, however unlike previous cars I have had the areas on the Niro where I would normally use my trolley jack look small and fragile. Any suggestions wheel you would place your trolley jack faceplate?
Am nervous on a new car of doing damage to an unreinforced location particularly on the front. On the back I usually use the rear cross beam but of course the Niro has multi link suspension. Also the front area under the bottom mount for suspension looks very narrow.
h2onorth