Dash cam

All Kia Niro related discussions
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Has anyone had a dash cam installed in their Niro? beyond my DIY capability, so looking for professional fitting.
Thanks
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.

Suman

Post by Suman »

I've fitted one myself. Halfords wouldn't touch it as they say they don't mess with Hybrids.

It was quite easy. I used a suction cup mount and placed the dash cam to the left of the mirror housing. I got a 5m USB lead and ran it up into the headlining and tucked it down the passenger A pillar, down under the door, then ran it under the front passenger seat and under the center console/storage box and up into the USB socket that lives there. Virtually no cutting required except a tiny piece of the felt lining the central cubby.

Everything can be removed in a minute or two as necessary and the car would be back as before.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Had a Nextbase 512GW fitted to fuse box by Halfords today. Suman, after he had finished I told the fitter about your experience at another Halfords branch - he said different branches have different competences, not Halfords policy not to "mess" with a hybrid.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Everyone should have a dash cam , as you just never know ... I fitted mine myself , and connected it to the fuse box .. very easy to do , but as dash cams run on 5 volts you need a 5 volt regulator to connect it directly to 12 volts ... If anyone wants to fit there own dash cam to the fuse box let me know and i will post some photos where to connect to .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
knea

Post by knea »

Hello,
out of curiosity, please where have you placed the dash cam? I have just bought one and I'm making a few tests before installing the mount. I'm trying to minimise the obstruction and for that reason I'm not entirely convinced that top centre, around the plastic box behind the rearview mirror, is the best location. I'm even considering the bottom left corner of the windscreen. Not a symmetric view but the visibility seems still good and pics seem decent.
Last edited by knea on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kia Niro HEV First Edition, 2017, White Pearl
Recycleman

Post by Recycleman »

Fitted my left of mirror, the mirror itself hides it, am using Nextbase 412gw
Bigtone1965

Post by Bigtone1965 »

Fitted mine to top left hand corner
I.e. Passenger side cable is around windscreen down
Under glovebox and in 12v transcend wifi one
Sees everything and not in way .
Always worried about hard wire as one something done wrong and oh your warranty is void as it's not a
Kia fitted item
And even the auto elctrican down the road is very wary about hybrids
knea

Post by knea »

Hi,
A follow up: I have placed the mount bottom-left of the windscreen:
It's roughly at the top of the area used for something like a resident permit, and still in the area kept clean & dry by the wipers. Pretty fine for the driver and reasonable enough for the pax.
I have checked the first videos and they seem fine. A few pixels at the bottom of the videos are 'taken' by the bonnet but nothing affecting clear visibility over what's happening ahead of the car. If you move it upwards up to the point the bonnet disappears completely, it can bother the pax without any significant benefit in terms of registration.
I'll put the wires somewhere so they are hidden but I'm going to keep the charging via the 12v plug: no proper wiring.
I'm keeping in that position for a little while. If it doesn't work, well it will go back to the rearview mirror area...
Kia Niro HEV First Edition, 2017, White Pearl
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

I fitted my Nextbase 512GW this morning. I prefer having it hard wired as I hate having the cables on view and trailing around the place. I used a mini piggyback fuse tap from eBay to the top left spare fuseway in the fusebox to the right of the drivers side. Also I put a split spade connector for the earth under the right side nut that holds the fuse board in place.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Add-A-Circuit ... 0005.m1851
MY22 Kia Niro 2 - Pearl White

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise