How is the car on steep grades?

All Kia Niro related discussions
Bicepeak1

Post by Bicepeak1 »

Will I be relegated to the slow lane going up steep mountain grades?

Steve

Post by Steve »

Nope ... Put it in sport mode and hang on , its very quick .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
Bicepeak1

Post by Bicepeak1 »

Thanks Steve.

I am struggling to decide between keeping my 2 year old RAV4 which I have been happy with , and trading it is for a Niro. If the Niro was available two years ago, I may have bought it instead.
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi Bicepeak1. Is your RAV4 4wheel drive?, If so much safer than Niro in wet or icy conditions . To be honest as much as I like my Niro 2 model in your position i would wait and view the raft of electric cars coming out in 2018/ 19
h2onorth
Bicepeak1

Post by Bicepeak1 »

Hi h2onorth,
My RAV4 is not all wheel drive, but living in Phoenix , I haven't experienced icy road conditions with it. I really was not that interested in the hybrid/electric aspect of the Niro, but I love it's size and layout a lot.
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi Bicepeak1. No one has so far (on social media) said the Niro was poor in winter and although in North East UK where I live we do get bad weather , have only had Niro since Feb this year. I had winter tyres for last car but have not considered it for Niro as I am likely to hand car back within 3 years. Yes the Niro is ideal size in many ways, not too large to park or maneuver and rear view is reasonable. My only quibbles are the boot dimensions are marginal but you get more room in the rear seat area. The boot cover mechanism is fiddly (for 1handed operation ) and I have removed it completely. I am NOT a fan of the foot hand brake for 2reasons. It requires a really heavy push to hold the car on any surface other than level and the rachet sound it makes is agriculture. I only use it for parking. Lastly the rear hatch operation requires you to grasp the underside of hatch paintwork (not good with hand jewelry ) and the hatch gets very dirty in wet/ rainy weather due to slipstream turbulence.
However I DO like the car and hope an EV one comes out without getting bigger or too expensive.
h2onorth
Bicepeak1

Post by Bicepeak1 »

Thanks for the input, h2onorth.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Regarding the bad weather , no matter what front wheel drive car you have , they will be the same , and a lot better than a rear wheel drive car , especially in the snow .... At the current state with Lithium battery's , and wanting a car to do 300 miles , there won't be any room for a boot ,unless they go down the same route as the Tesla , and have the battery under the floor , but i very doubt it ... To give you an idea what a Niro BEV vehicle will do in miles , look at the Hyundai Ioniq BEV , its the same platform . They say it will do 124 miles on a full charge , but put your foot down and you can half that ... I've come to the conclusion that you can't keep up with car technology today , so i will be keeping my Niro for many years until they make a BEV car , that will do 300 plus miles . have a good size boot , and plug in stations every 3 miles and not expensive to buy . but when we all have BEVs , the government will want there cut , and it will be just as expensive to run as a petrol/diesel cars today . So really , are we just puppets doing what the government want us to do .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011