Alloy Wheels

All Kia Niro related discussions
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I have recently washed and cleaned my Niro '2' and found that it has plastic wheel covers. In thought these were supposed to be alloys as outlined in the Kia publications.

Should I complain or is there a story to be told. I would appreciate any feedback.

Btw, still like the car after 5 months with it.

Steve

Emperor

Post by Emperor »

Evidently there are "black" alloys lurking behind the plastic trims. I was a bit concerned about this at first but my dealer said replacement trims are very much cheaper to replace if damaged than an exposed alloy. The plastic trims are certainly easier to clean than an alloy.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Is this because alloys would be lighter than steel wheels?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Correct . And i believe they are just as expensive as the 18" alloys . Seen them for sale for £140 each with the wheel trim .

https://www.jenningsmotorgroup.co.uk/sh ... -wheel-16/
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi all. The discussion about wheel design for Niro has been raised on other Niro media sites too. Apparently the flush outside , plastic additions, reduce drag and appears on other eco type vehicles too. I also hoped the plastic additions would reduce or prevent accidental damage to alloy wheels on kerbs or stone chips which it does; however replacement of the plastic trims cost has been quoted as high as £80 each (unconfirmed) by dealerships in UK). When I discussed buying the car last year I was told trims were approx £10 each not so ridiculous.
A few UK owners are looking at wheel options in open market place.
h2onorth
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

I am toying with the idea of changing the wheels to 16" Dezent TV dark alloys shod with Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres which have much better wet grip and are claimed by independent testers to reduce cabin noise compared with the Michelin Energy Savers.

The total cost of the new wheels and tyres is about £800 fitted. I would retain one existing wheel as a spare and sell the other 3 to NIro owners who want a spare wheel and tyre to escape from having to use the blow-up gunge kit in an emergency. A new KIA full size spare wheel and tyre would cost more than £200 so I guess people might be willing to pay about £100 for a nearly new spare.

I read that the Niro PEV to be launched this September uses the under-floor area in the boot to accommodate the bigger battery. Hence those owners will not be able to have a spare wheel without sacrificing a lot of boot volume.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue