MY18 build date

All Kia Niro related discussions
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Splang wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:21 pm I have been told by kia that if it were to discharge you just press the button and charge is put across from the main battery. The little battery is also under the rear passenger seat so no loss of storage (increase actually)

Whilst I am on this post there is a new manual for my18 which shares with the plugin hybrid - towing is now acceptable

See below

I wouldn't guarantee it (the towing). My manual says exactly the same but the car is not homologated for towing, as shown by the door plate. If your door plate shows a different (higher) number in the second spot, then yes, the arrangements for towing have changed, but otherwise not.

Splang

Post by Splang »

Good point!
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I've been mulling over getting a battery booster for weeks. Today I have ordered one, though I'm not sure how it might work in practice, it's better than being helpless.
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate
Steve

Post by Steve »

Its quite interesting why Kia are removing the 12v battery , and replacing it with a Lipo battery , as you can't get 12 volts from a lipo battery . A 3S (cell) battery is 11.1 volts , and a 4S is 14.8 Volts , so there must be some kind of regulation to get 12 Volts , or they have changed many things for it to run on 11.1 volts , doubt it , and if that ( 12 volt ) battery fails , and as its part of the hybrid battery , well i wouldn't like to think how much it would cost to get it fixed , especially after the 7 year warranty ... Saying that its a KIA and it won't fail . :)
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Doesn't a healthy lead acid battery actually deliver about 13.2 volts anyway though? Or am I getting it mixed up?
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Looking for a battery booster many of the reviews stated that it is the amp rating that is important not the voltage.
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate
Steve

Post by Steve »

djbobbins wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:22 pm Doesn't a healthy lead acid battery actually deliver about 13.2 volts anyway though? Or am I getting it mixed up?
No.. A good 12 volt lead acid battery will show between 12.5 volts to 12.8 volts ..... 2 volts can make all the difference in electronics .... I have never had any problems with my battery , I'm retired , and only use the car about 4 times a weeks , and that's all local driving . And i would much prefer to replace a lead acid battery than Lithium battery cells .. And having a good lithium emergency battery pack is a very good idea.
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
niroal

Post by niroal »

The photos on Autotrader of PHEV Niros which I assume would be my2018 cars have no 12v refresh button & still have the battery box on the drivers side of the boot. Unfortunately regardless of what it says in the brochure the headlights do not look to be LED either.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite