MY18 build date

All Kia Niro related discussions
Splang

Post by Splang »

Hi folks
Anyone know when this is please? I have ordered a 2 with adap and it was built 2 weeks ago. I think the only difference between my17 and 18 is the battery in the back moves to below the rear seat and is a lithium?
Many thanks
S

djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Do you mean the 12v battery? The EV battery is already under the rear seat (in the non plug-in Niro) and is a lithium polymer battery.
Splang

Post by Splang »

Yes the 12v
Splang

Post by Splang »

JimT

Post by JimT »

I wonder if the relocation is only for the U.S. market?
Now: niro 2 (red)
Previous cars:
Citroen C3 Picasso (auto)
Renault grand scenic 1.5dci on 17" wheels (awful)
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think this will be across the globe , strange they are replacing the 12v battery so soon , perhaps they know something we don't and not telling us . I suspect they are doing it because of weight , and more room in the boot , and no doubt there will be a lot more changes in the future . And i wouldn't be surprised they will make the Lithium battery bigger too.
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
Splang

Post by Splang »

Hi
Thought I would let you know - my vehicle was built middle of July and it is a MY18 model. It has the 12v reset button and no normal 12v car battery which gives more space in the boot.
Never have to worry about battery going flat as you would just push the button and the li-ion battery gives some charge to the 12v li-ion mini battery
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I've read a general report about Li-polymer batteries having 8 cells, six for the hybrid function plus two for the replacement lead-acid functions. Currently I think there may be a problem with the lead-acid battery losing charge if doing frequent short journeys in congested traffic. Two questions for me, firstly does a bigger Li-polymer battery remove space for a spare wheel, secondly would it be possible to discharge the Li-polymer battery to the point where it will not start the car? At least the Lead-acid battery can be recharged with a charger as in a non-hybrid vehicle.
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate
Splang

Post by Splang »

I have been told by kia that if it were to discharge you just press the button and charge is put across from the main battery. The little battery is also under the rear passenger seat so no loss of storage (increase actually)

Whilst I am on this post there is a new manual for my18 which shares with the plugin hybrid - towing is now acceptable

See below

IMG_4223.JPG

Splang

Post by Splang »

Excerpt from the manual

image.jpg