Real world fuel economy

All Kia Niro related discussions
JimT

Post by JimT »

Just been looking at the Honest John website 'real mpg' figures.
For the niro it is 53.7mpg from 25 people who have posted figures but doesn't seem to take into account the rim sizes. As the niro seems to be compared to the Prius, I looked that up as well.
The current Prius [claimed 94mpg (yeah, right!)] is 63mpg from 125 posts.
It seems to me that if you're getting anything around 63mpg the niro makes more sense to buy. Even if you're not, the £2k+ you saved in purchase price buys an awful lot of fuel. I'm sure someone will have a formula for working out the savings - even at 53.7mpg
Now: niro 2 (red)
Previous cars:
Citroen C3 Picasso (auto)
Renault grand scenic 1.5dci on 17" wheels (awful)

pchrist7

Post by pchrist7 »

Greetings from Denmark.
Here's it's getting colder, and I see a significant drop in km/l when the skinny old guy wants heated seat, warm air on windows/cabin. Might be I need a software update for ECU but will know shortly. During summer HEV charge status was always between approx. 50 and 75 %. In the mornings with 5 degrees everywhere I suspect the regular engine is very busy generating 12V for heated seat, blowers, etc. and most of all heated water to raise cabin temperature. I've never ever seen chargemeter close to 100 % before. Interesting winter ahead.
Cheers,
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

We had our first frost yesterday morning. My typical fuel economy for the 11 mile trip to work dropped from about 54mpg to 45mpg; I suspect as a result of needing the cabin heater to defrost the windscreen and to keep me warm (no heated seats in my Niro 2! :-(. )
patc

Post by patc »

Greetings from London.
Just did my first brim to brim on my Niro 4. Came in at 51.4 mpg. Quite pleased with that as my daily commute is 10 miles in to the centre of London and 10 miles back to Chiswick, Monday to Friday. Weekends are a mixture of local roads and a bit of motorway, no long trips done yet. Worthing trip coming up next weekend, should be interesting! The hybrid drive has certainly slowed me down and am enjoying the new driving style.
Kia Niro 4 in Granite. All the bells and whistles.
Last car: Ford Kuga Titanium. 2l TDI.